A couple of (goofy?) line array questions....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First off, I am astounded at the knowledge and available info across this entire forum. I am also happy to see how 'international' it is! Pretty cool indeed...

I have built several successful multi way sealed and vented systems..but that was a long time ago. Well..the bug is back..

On to my questions:
1. I am considering building a line array, possibly using one of the PE vifa buyout drivers..maybe 8 per side. I am concerned with getting them to play as low as possible so I am considering doing a proper vented enclosure. (due to the Qts of the drivers and am looking for maximum 'punch') The enclosure will obviously be very long and narrow. I am worried that a vent at the extremes of the box (top and bottom) may present a problem. I feel it is unrealistic to place the ports in the driver field. I am proposing possibly a vent slot (of the correct profile and length) running the length of the enclosure top to bottom to better couple the vent to ALL of the drivers. I realize one issue would be properly bracing the box with such a long slot, I think I can deal with that. Do you think this may be a good idea? Is there an issue with vents at the cabinet's extremes in the first place? Should I toss the whole vent idea out the window? (I would like to try it though)

2. If I use a single tweet of high efficiency and dispersion (dead center) instead of a 'tweeter line', will I be stuck with one small sweet spot or can I expect better.

3. If it would be that much of an advantage to do a line of tweets..should they be 'set back' to better time align them with the woofs. In a line array, will that make much of an improvement, all things being equal?

Thanks in advance,
Marc

Going sealed or vented or even TL is possible, it's all up to the driver specs. Model one driver to find the alignment that works for you and then increase the box size by how many drivers you're using. A long vent slot will work if you wish.

A single tweeter will act as a point source while the woofs are acting as a line source; not the best idea.

Time align can be done but the destructive diffraction effects may well outweigh the benefit gained.

www.billfitzmaurice.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.