Determining The XMAX

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Noodle Snacks is correct. The mechanical Xmax is frequently given as Xmech, but sometimes also as Xmax (mechanical).

In hifi speakers it generally is 1.5 to 2 times the Xmax. In PA speakers it is more than that. The Eminence Kilowatt driver, for instance, has an Xmax of 10 mm, and Xmech of 25 mm.

KevinLee said:
Hello,

I believe electrical x-max and mechanical x-max are two different things. They may not be the same.

Any opinions?

KevinLee:)

Xmax is usually linear excursion, and can be measured in different ways. From a mechanical viewpoint, once the amount of wire within the magnetic gap decreases, the movement becomes non linear - so the equation given by kelticwizard applies, and is commonly specified by speaker manufacturers. However, if due to design of the magnetic gap, the magnetic flux extends slightly further than the physical gap height, the electrical Xmax can be slightly higher. This is usually measured dynamically with a signal increased until a certain distortion figure is reached. I believe Beyma use this method.

Personally, I don't think the small differences mean much sound wise.

Cheers

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Centauri said:

However, if due to design of the magnetic gap, the magnetic flux extends slightly further than the physical gap height, the electrical Xmax can be slightly higher. This is usually measured dynamically with a signal increased until a certain distortion figure is reached. I believe Beyma use this method.

Personally, I don't think the small differences mean much sound wise.

Cheers

Yes, I think when measured dynamically, figures 15% higher or so emerge than with the formula. So if the formula produces an Xmax of 6 mm, the dynamic might produce an Xmax of 6.9 mm.

I agree, not too much difference there. Most people just want an idea about how much output they can expect from a particular speaker.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.