Crossing to a sub?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking for some advice... I am using an open baffle top end with a Fostex FF85K, which works extremely well if you don't ask it to go much below 200hz. At this time I have a sealed 12" woffer (an old Altec from a 70's bookshelf speaker) to handle the bottom end. So the setup is kind of Basszilla-like. My question is, is there any reason I could not use a subwoofer, like the Shiva, on the bottom instead? I'd use a sealed application since this is for hi-fi use and I don't want it overly boomy. From the graphs on the Shiva is seems to work fine up to 800hz or so, and I'd need to cross it in just below the 200hz level. Second question is, any reason why it would not work well in a down firing position if crossed this high? Third, the living room, where this will be, is upstairs and would downfiring cause a lot of energy transfer to the celing of the room below, or would it be really any different than front firing?
Thanks for any insights!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.