speaker placement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was wondering how everybody out here was placing his speakers, do you use some kind of formula to do it, or just by ear?
I, for example, used the golden ratio calculations i found at the cardas site and further adjusted it by ear to place my floorstanding Br speakers...

so, if you would like to, post the method you use and if possible where you found it...

greetz...

For most speakers and most rooms:

Small rooms, speakers lined up along the short wall, about 1.2 meter or so. Distance to side walls end up at about 0.8m.

Bigger rooms (luxuary :) can benefit from speakers along the long wall as long as speakers and listening position is far enough out in the room, IOW about 1-1.5 meter for speakers. The side walls typically about 2 meters or moore from the speakers.

This would be good examples for rectangular rooms 20m2 resp. 35m2 or so.

Another solution that often works fine is to put the speakers on each side of a corner IOW not at the same wall. This can have a very positive effect on standing wave paterns.

In my experience no matter what kind of speaker you use (almost regardless of princip with few exceptions) 1.2 meter from back wall is minimum. This goes for dipoles, traditional box speakers (omni bass/cardioid highs) as well as for omnipolar like German physics DDD.

/Peter

It's going to vary a great deal between speakers and rooms for the angle of the speakers also. In general, for a typical box speaker the speakers are "toed-in" toward the listener. This helps minimize the impact of reflections from the walls. My current arrangement has the axis of the main drivers crossing just behind my head at my listening position. There are going to be differences based on the on and off axis characteristics of the drivers too. An example is the recommendation on the EJ Jordan website to aim the line array design drivers so the axis cross in front of the listener.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.