How To Effectively Test Speakers? Help PLEASE!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
Such a rude way to introduce myself to you for the first time... and yet it must be done. If somebody could help me that would be great!

A few years ago I bought a Kenwood home theatre system, which included a receiver and five speakers and a subwoofer.

After a recent apartment move I found that when I tried to plug my speakers into the receiver, NONE of them worked. I invested in a multimeter to test the speakers' impedance. The speakers were 8 Ohms, and the multimeter registered 8 Ohms (give or take).

Incidentally, the speakers are the kind with two naked wires on the end that you have to clip into the receiver (not that I know of any other type).

Do I have enough information to conclude that it's the receiver that isn't working and the speakers are fine? Is there anything else I should be testing for, given I don't have access to another receiver?

Thanks a bunch!
WASSIM

Hi Wassim and welcome to the forum.
Even after reading your post twice I can't find anything rude in it ;)

Concerning your system:
It would surprise me that all speakers would have died at the same time, certainly when they still measure a nice 8 ohm.
I would go for wrong settings on the receiver (monitor button ?) or a major problem with it like a dead fuse or an active protection circuit.
I remember some old AKAI receivers where system B (that was the rear or second set of speakers) never worked if no speakers were connected to system A. (Front or first set). Just a thought.

/Hugo :)

Wassim,

Which kenwood receiver do you have?

I know mine can be cranky at times if I have the wrong combination of selectors and wires hooked up -- I thought I had toasted my center channel once, but it turned out I had it plugged into the wrong output.

Other stuff to test.
-check your speaker wires for breaks (multimeter should show 0 reistance).
-check the input source on your receiver. (random radio station works for a sanity check)
-receiver lights up okay when you poke the power button?

It's almost certainly your receiver.

One way to test whether or not the speakers are functioning is to use a small 1.5 volt battery (like a AAA cell). Hold one of the speaker wires against the bottom terminal, then touch the other speaker wire to the top terminal. You should get a thump or a click as that wire is touched and released. If you do, the speaker should be capable of producing sound.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.