Pro Drivers for Small Cabinet - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th June 2002, 10:25 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Hi,

If you are rich, buy a Fostex FW800N, or an Altec or a JBL, buy the best. I's a joke !!!
I think that you are like me a poor boy, so try Beyma 15K200 or 12K200. Very used in France (my country). Here, a 15K200 cost approximately 200 dollars each and 12K200 cost 160. I think that in USA beyma are cheaper.
If you want a real bass box (38Hz -3db to 800Hz). In France an audiophile said to me that he have mounted a 15K200 in a 140 litres bass reflex enclosure, 2 vents 12cm diameter and 18,7cm lenght. The cabinet is made with 22mm board thickness with some "tasseaux"(in french, sorry I don't know in english). In the bottom you fill with sand. On sides you put tar and on right and left you put "laine de roche" (in french, it a sort of absorber).
Behind the beyma, you put a plate/sheet of plumb.
It's a very very good bass box for a 3 ways loudspeaker.

Best Regards.

Pascal.
Old 17th June 2002, 08:39 AM   #12
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Markanof & Bostarob

I just ordered 2 Selenium WPU1505 15" woofers from Parts Express. It is on sale-reduced from $160 to $100

Qts is 0.39 which seems to get it down to 37-37 hz even in a somewhat reasonable box. Cast frame, 4" coil massive magnet-of course!

The shipping to CA was $40

Then again what would I expect for a pair that weighs over 50 lbs.!

They look to be fine quality and I asked around and people have heard of them!! Hope this helps

MArk
Old 18th June 2002, 05:22 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Still a decent price, good luck!
-andy
Old 18th June 2002, 06:22 AM   #14
diyAudio Editor

Well, any monster woofer is gonna cost to ship I guess.
I just logged onto Parts Express to stare at my new drivers, since they haven't arrived yet, and discovered tha they are no longer on sale. They are on the sale page, but the price is back up to $160. Sorry if I didn't warn people in time. I didn't realize it was a short term thing. Now the 10" and a tweeter from Selenium are on sale.

But I think we've learned some thing here- there seems to be a rotation of Selenium stuff on sale. If one were patient, one could assemble a fullrange PA system cheap- piece by piece. Of coursew I just wanted a big efficient woofer!!
Old 18th June 2002, 08:12 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

The driver I am looking at is a full range 12" Eminence Beta. It has a high Q and since I want a 2 way TL seems to be a good choice. I might get a pair next month. After that will be building and stuffing. These are 99 db so I am going to use some old alnico paper cone tweeters I pulled from an old pair of Frazier 2 ways. Frazier didn't build his own drivers so I am not sure of the source of these tweets. The numbers are not Jensen's so possibly Utah. As far as a small cabinet goes I know mine will be as close to twelve inches as I can get it and get the driver in. I am going to tune for 30 Hz which is around 11.25'. That will decide the height and depth of the box. Note that the 12"ers are designed for PA apps. For use in pro sound ought to be great. I will find out whether or not it is a good choise for listening with a SET.
Old 19th June 2002, 01:22 AM   #16
diyAudio Editor

Default Thatch Ear

Here is some info on the driver I think you are using:

http://www.fortunecity.com/rivendell...terburner.html

Also, The Hammer Dynamics speaker uses a modified version for the full range beta with a tweeter.
The link to HAmmer is on the Afterburner site above

Hide this!Advertise here!