4" all round speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
4" all round speakers

Hey all,
I'm brand new to the forums I'm just wondering if anybody has suggestions on some good all around 4" speakers for my old car. It's the only speakers in the car, I'm not too worried about making a fat system at this point, but I wouldn't mind some decent (and not overly expensive) speakers that are good for rock, alternative, punk, etc.
Thanks guys
Ty A
:D

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Not specifically a car speaker... but one of the best bang for the buck 4" avaiable... the Radio Shack 40-1197 $18 each (you may have to order them in at your local RS). The new batch are Korean, and (according to a buddy in Calgary) the best of recent batches (i've still got a handfull of old ones to use up before i try the new ones).

I have a friend in Kelowna who may have built up his BD-Pipes with these (canadian purple box) drivers.

dave

I have a pair of MA audio Y3K 4" drivers sitting in my closet that sound excellent for car use. They are a woven fiberglass cone with butyl rubber surround, titanium ferrofluid cooled tweeters. The crossover on them is just a cap in series with the tweeter, but it's not hard to cut it off and wire in a real crossover. They cost me $35 CAN for the pair at a liquidation outlet. I also have a pair of Pioneer 4" drivers with a whizzer that cost $60 at CrappyTire (Canadian Tire) that are absolutely subpar.

Are you suggesting/implying that you want to sell them, since they are sitting in your closet? Hehe, as I said I just want something for my POS tercel to get me by, im a student... Those Radio shack specials look good but as you said, they'd have to order em in. :cannotbe: :xeye:

Hi Dave,

I was looking at a couple of 40-1197 on the weekend. The back was stamped FE-103 and Radio Shack 40-1197. However, I forgot where they were made. I did not pick them up because I am looking for 4 of them and I was not sure if this was old stock or not?

Are the drivers that you recently ordered from their website also stamped FE-103? Do you know if the new batch of drivers is still suitable in the many FE-103 designs which are available?

Cheers,
GM.

planet10 said:
Not specifically a car speaker... but one of the best bang for the buck 4" avaiable... the Radio Shack 40-1197 $18 each (you may have to order them in at your local RS). The new batch are Korean, and (according to a buddy in Calgary) the best of recent batches (i've still got a handfull of old ones to use up before i try the new ones).

I have a friend in Kelowna who may have built up his BD-Pipes with these (canadian purple box) drivers.

dave

Mani691 said:
Are you suggesting/implying that you want to sell them, since they are sitting in your closet?

They are sitting in my closet because they used to belong in my old car, but I was in a car wreck in February and my new car has 3.5" speakers in the front, so I could not use them. I suppose if you really want them I'd sell them to you. They are in brand-new shape, only used for a few months before my car was smashed. These are the specs I have for them:

-4" silver glass fiber woven cone with 0.75" titanium tweeter
-40W RMS
-80W Max
-Sensitivity: 91 dB @ 1w/1m
-Frequency Response: 70Hz - 22kHz
-Mounting Depth: 1.75"

Email me if you are interested. I can take a picture and email it to you if you want to see what they look like as well.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Mani691 said:
Are you suggesting/implying that you want to sell them, since they are sitting in your closet? Hehe, as I said I just want something for my POS tercel to get me by, im a student... Those Radio shack specials look good but as you said, they'd have to order em in. :cannotbe: :xeye:

If you order them from a local RS you won't have to pay shipping. I have a single pr of Canadian purple box (used), and the rest are old US blue box... i don't really want to part with them.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
gmilitano said:
I was looking at a couple of 40-1197 on the weekend. The back was stamped FE-103 and Radio Shack 40-1197. However, I forgot where they were made. I did not pick them up because I am looking for 4 of them and I was not sure if this was old stock or not?

They are all marked FE103... the last batch had purple boxes -- i'd have to ask if the new ones have different color boxes...

Latest comment from Rick in Calgary:

One thing the really surprissed me was the near field linearity of the newer Korean built 40-1197's that I have in some small aluminum cabinets (for quick test's) , they are producing surprisingly flat respeonse from 120 to around 8 khz -- within about +- 2 db , with some minor glitches here and there

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.