Proteus vs Eros - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd August 2004, 04:40 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Proteus vs Eros

I'm sure by now most of you are familiar with both the Proteus and the Eros . Both of the designers have great reputations and also obviously haev great skill. Both of the designs have been built by many other people and I've never seen any bad comments about either. In the price are the Proteus comes out a bit cheaper (just for drivers it's about $50 cheaper per speaker), but it isn't enough to break my bank so I'll ignore it. I'm going to be building a pair of speakers to be used as the front left and right in my home theater and I've pretty much narrowed it down to these two designs. These speakers will also be used quite regularly to listen to 2-channel music (driven by a Leach Amp, about 120W/ch@8ohm). I'm very interested in hearing opinions about which design is going to sound better (if you find yourself asking "Does he mean for music or for home theater?" then I'd say music comes first).
Old 3rd August 2004, 01:06 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi

What´s your listening room area?

How close/away from backwall are you planning to use the speakers?

Is your room acoustically treated?

First clue is that Eros is more bass heavy than Proteus but both run side-by-side in performance.

JC
Old 3rd August 2004, 01:16 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Listening Area is about 15'x20', it is acoustically treated, and I sit about 11 feet from the speakers. The speakers are spaced about 10 feet apart (picures on my website, sig). Speakers are spaced about 16" from the back wall.
Old 3rd August 2004, 05:40 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

m0tion

I would choose Eros. Fits ok in your room, away from backwalls (see back output port) and its enclosure is a bit easier to build.

Hope this helps

JC
Old 3rd August 2004, 07:20 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

It sounds to me like these two speakers are considered "on par" with each other, is this true?
Old 3rd August 2004, 08:10 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

They both use drivers of similar quality so its safe to assume that they would be of about the same quality.
Old 4th August 2004, 02:01 AM   #7
dejo is offline dejo  United States
diyAudio Member

I recently built the Eros speakers and can say first hand that they are all that said of them. The low end is outstanding the mids are quite good and the highs are outstanding as well. I could be a little hard on the mids as I just changed from the ft-1600 (a Bob Brines) floorstander (I really liked the old ones too but they didnt integrate in my room as well as these do, they are still a great speaker). I would highly recommend the Eros. If you dont need extreme volumes the ft-1600 would be a good choice also for a lot less money.

I am currently using a Denon reciever for power and have wanked on the Eros pretty hard and they just take it in stride, as I have yet to hear one bottom out, and that is even running full range. If money isnt that big of an issue I would think you couldnt ask for more for your dollar.
Old 4th August 2004, 04:04 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

My thought is that if the Eros are good enough I will end of using them for a very long time. Thanks for your input. Do you have a thread here about your pair of Eros or maybe a website? Pictures and details about your construction would be very intersting.
Old 4th August 2004, 10:04 AM   #9
dejo is offline dejo  United States
diyAudio Member

I dont have anywhere to host pics, although I do have a few
Old 4th August 2004, 01:31 PM   #10
Hans L is offline Hans L  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dejo
I recently built the Eros speakers and can say first hand that they are all that said of them. The low end is outstanding the mids are quite good and the highs are outstanding as well. I could be a little hard on the mids as I just changed from the ft-1600 (a Bob Brines) floorstander (I really liked the old ones too but they didnt integrate in my room as well as these do, they are still a great speaker). I would highly recommend the Eros.
Can you please give us more reference as to how they perform? How did it compare to other well known speakers? What would you expect to pay for them if they were commercial speakers?
Nothing against you or subjective remarks like 'there really that good', but I'm naturally suspicious of ppl 's comments on the speakers they built with their own hands, especially when you've designed them themselves.

The design does look very attractive though, especially the MKII (did you build the MKI or MKII?)

Cheers,
Hans.

Hide this!Advertise here!