Opinion on Klipsch sf-1...?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been shopping speakers for quite a while now and lately had the chance to listen to the Klipsch SF-1. These highly priced speakers seemed to have a beatifull well balances sound but still, at 600 Cnd$ I'm wondering, are they worth every penny?

Does anyone here own a pair?
What are your audiophile opinion?

feel free to fully express yourself!

thnx for feedback!

-Simon

I don't think many people here do know anything about modern klipsch speakers. I have asked questions in the past about how to build a speaker similiar to the klipsch speakers with such high efficiency and bass extension. I have gotten very few answers about this.

Now to answer your question. I don't really consider myself an audiophile, because I am still young and have not experienced a lot of the more expensive high end gear. However when I was looking for speakers last year I listened to the sf-1. At first I felt that they sounded very nice but that vocals could be a bit harsh. So I wrote them off for that time. I also listened to the SB-3 bookshelf speakers, same feelign about the highs, but I was amazed at the volume and bass that those relatively small speakers could put out.

A few weeks later I recalled a lot of people saying that horns can take some getting used to so I gave the klipsch synergy line another try. This time I think my ears had adjusted to the horn sound and they sounded great in my opinion. I also listened to the RF-3II which I also like, but they are quite a bit more expensive.

I would have to say that in thier price range the klipsch speakers compete quite well. Maybe some would say klipsch isn't considered true hi-fi but this is my opinion. I don't own them, because I got a great deal on a some acoustic research speakers which I also liked, but if I were purchasing right now, I would go with klipsch.

What are you mostly listening too music or home theater? I think more people would recommend them for home theater over music, but I like them for both.

Mark

Mostly music

Basically electronic music, hard house music or Nu-NRG sometime classical and punk. Dunno if klipsch is the right choice?!?

I really appreciate your opinion on these speakers...I just wish they were less expensive.. it was the first time i've herd so much bass power getting out of something while keeping cristal clear highs!

If you find anymore info and still want to build SF-1 look-a-like keep me informed! I'd really like to own a pair of these... not having to pay hundreds of $cnd.

-Simon

IMHO, I am saying that you should build your own speakers. This allows you to build something that fits you and not have a company make the compromises for you. Remember, quality of speakers has gone down lately and Klipsch from the 70s won't feel as nice as they do know. Aside of that, the Sf-1s sounded, good. I can't remember the exact experience, however, I noticed that the bass was nice, but the horn hates my ears or, the other way around, but I don't like those horns. I wanted something a little nicer in the highs, but I built my own speaks and they sound beautiful... So, have fun shopping!!

NU_NRG,

I have been asking a lot of questions lately regarding some klipsch sound-o-likes. I have made some progress, but am still unable to replicate those speakers to my satisfaction. I will let you know if I make any progress.

Bose(o),

I agree about building your own speakers. I have built a couple pairs of large bookshelf speakers that I was fairly happy with. Since you suggested builiding your own on this thread, I was wondering if you had any thoughts about building something that would be similiar to these speakers. Here's my dilema...

I would like to use multiple bass drivers (two to be exact) to reduce distortion and increase efficiency. However others on this forum have told me that if I were to run two 4 ohm drivers in series I would not gain any overall sensitivity for the whole box at the same power. But I would get significant gain if I were to run two 16 ohm drivers in parallel. My problem is that I have found a small number of pro drivers only that fit this description. These allow me to get the required sensitivity (97 db or greater 1w/1m) however the required cabinet size for good bass would be huge for most normal sized rooms. My other option is to use regular drivers and get good bass, but the sensitivity would not be nearly as good.

So I ask you or anyone else reading this if you have any thoughts about solving this problem?

I have thought about building my own cinema boxes as well. I want to use a smaller, more appealing MTM design. I'll have a down firing sub in each of the five speaks. This is my thoughts thus far. Now, if I really wanted SPL and good and deep bass for towers, I'm thinking about mounting your mids and tweets a bit behind the baffle and create a horn that will create compression in front of the driver, thus bringing your SPL up. Possibly, mounting your sub or subs in a TL section in the bottom of your tower. Remember, this is just me dreaming, not being idealistic or anything:D

<b>markkanof said

My problem is that I have found a small number of pro drivers only that fit this description. These allow me to get the required sensitivity (97 db or greater 1w/1m) however the required cabinet size for good bass would be huge for most normal sized rooms. My other option is to use regular drivers and get good bass, but the sensitivity would not be nearly as good.

So I ask you or anyone else reading this if you have any thoughts about solving this problem?</b>

Because I'm tired and need sleep, I'll let a physicist explain it.

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/HUG/messages/27613.html

<b>bose(o) said

I'm thinking about mounting your mids and tweets a bit behind the baffle and create a horn that will create compression in front of the driver, thus bringing your SPL up.</b>

Remember horns are a bandpass device, and how well they work is determined by their mouth and throat sizes, their length and the flare type and rate amongst other things. The drivers also need to be suitable for use in a horn. Almost none are. Simply recessing the drivers and making a flare of some sort is most likely to create colourations, and none of the efficiency increase you are seeking.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.