wanted: suggestions for a linaeum based design - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st August 2004, 04:22 PM   #1
zobsky is offline zobsky  India
diyAudio Member

Default wanted: suggestions for a linaeum based design

for the next project, .. I want to use my pair of OEM (aura) linaeum dipoles tweeters. Thinking of a small / medium sized bookshelf that can be used in the bedroom or on a shelf.

hence, ..
1. small size implies probably a ported design to get a decent amount of bass (though i haven't shut myself out to sealed boxes yet, for this design). doesn't need to go real low, as a sub will be available if needed, ..just enough to make them listenable without a sub.
2. at the back of my head, i was thinking mini transmission line (a la PMC bookshlef) .. but have no idea where to start on that one, .. or how it sounds

2. preferably front ported,.. as it may be mounted against the wall

3. the dipole tweeter will obviously be top mounted

looking for woofer / midbass suggestions and also design suggestions. most of the designs on the web suggest the use of the tonegen woofer which i can't see available anywhere. in any case,.. there must be other suitable dirvers out there too.

i was thinking of using speaker workshop to design this speaker (or maybe the easier to work with win-isd if speaker workshop continues to frustrate me ).

questions:
1. compatable driver suggestions
2. does anyone have the T/S paramters / freq. curve for the dipole. the OEM linaeum monopole ispecs are are at http://www.aurasound.com/pdf/ntl25-354-4a.pdf but not the dipole.
3. budget, .. want to keep this fairly inexpensive (say, .. under $50 - $70 for two drivers and crossover components).

BTW, .. i have a pair of boxes of size 0.9 cu. ft from a previous project (missing the front baffles). might these come in useful?
Old 1st August 2004, 05:08 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: wanted: suggestions for a linaeum based design

Quote:
Originally posted by zobsky
1. compatable driver suggestions
MCM 55-1855 or 55-1870

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Old 1st August 2004, 09:36 PM   #3
NH7RO is offline NH7RO  United States
diyAudio Member

I can recommend the Dynaudio 17w75EXT mid-woofer as a great mate for the Linnaeum tweeters--I built a two-way system in a truncated concrete tube that I've enjoyed very much for the last 11 years. The tweeter sits on top, of course, while the Dynaudio produces an amazing quantity and quality of bass from the tube underneath. This is probably a much larger (and heavier--100lbs each!) route than you would want to go with but perhaps the same drivers in/on a small, well-designed bass reflex box (made out of Corian, perhaps?) might also be a good choice. Sorry, but I no longer have the specs on the Linnaeums any more but I seem to remember smooth response up to 26khz...
The Dynaudios are frequently available on ebay and I think can also be obtained from European sources (search this site) if you are interested. Good luck with your project!
Jeff in Hawaii
Old 2nd August 2004, 12:34 AM   #4
Greg B is offline Greg B  United States
diyAudio Member

I second the MCM 1855/1870 recommendation. It works well in a small BR box and blends well with a linaeum. I had some mini speakers with the 1870 and linaeum monopoles a few years ago.

Don't waste money on 'fancier' woofers. Those tweeters are pleasant and OK sounding, but don't warrant the hype they used to get. The little MCM woofers kick butt for the size, and respond well to tweaks like a phase plug, coating, etc.

GB
Old 2nd August 2004, 12:59 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg B
I second the MCM 1855/1870 recommendation. It works well in a small BR box and blends well with a linaeum. I had some mini speakers with the 1870 and linaeum monopoles a few years ago.

Don't waste money on 'fancier' woofers. Those tweeters are pleasant and OK sounding, but don't warrant the hype they used to get. The little MCM woofers kick butt for the size, and respond well to tweaks like a phase plug, coating, etc.

GB

what do you cross over at (and what type of crossover ckt)?

thanks

hmm, .. dynaudio, .. will keep at the back of my mind, .. but this was supposed to be a budget project
Old 2nd August 2004, 01:19 AM   #6
Greg B is offline Greg B  United States
diyAudio Member

I think the crossover was a 1mH lowpass choke, and a 4.7uF highpass, with an L-pad on the linaeum. 5R/10R series/parallel, IIRC.

This had started out as a ratshack prox77 (?), and I just tossed the original woofer, which was unlistenable, and hotmelted in the 1870. Yeah, quick and dirty... The crossover was what was in there already, 'cept I put in a film cap, and added an L-pad with a couple extra series ohms to pull down the xover point a little.

You might do better with a more carefully designed crossover, but that one worked good enough.

GB
Old 2nd August 2004, 01:57 AM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

When i used the 1855, i added a bit of cone treatment, which killed the bit of a breakup peak they had and was able to run them full range with the tweeter (not a linaem) rolled in 2nd order.

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Old 2nd August 2004, 02:37 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

ALthough I don't have any graphs or anything, I think I remember the Lineums (at least the ones I have PN# 40-1389) were OK down to about 3Khz...but would probably need a 3rd or 4th order XO.

BTW, Dave that picture of you hanging upside down or something was the best one yet....artistic
Old 2nd August 2004, 03:17 AM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Hybrid fourdoor
BTW, Dave that picture of you hanging upside down or something was the best one yet....artistic
Hanging upside down on one of those playground geodesic domes, shot with infrared film.

Current one is making molecule models in Grade 12 chemistry (i was in Grade 11 -- 17 Years old i guess)

dave
Old 2nd August 2004, 03:59 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
When i used the 1855, i added a bit of cone treatment, which killed the bit of a breakup peak they had and was able to run them full range with the tweeter (not a linaem) rolled in 2nd order.

dave
hmm, I have some damar, .. I'm guessing that could be used for the same breakup control purpose.

Hide this!Advertise here!