Would this sub be suitable for dipole or horn loading or both?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm trying to determine my next insane project to do. I'm thinking of buying 10 of these woofers. I'll probably use them in a variety of configurations to play with- I want to try normal direct radiating, horn loaded and dipole, as well as to try 10 (or as many as I can fit) in my car.... What do you all think of these specs? Its a 15" driver, do you think I should go with the 12" version that has similar specs instead?

Driver Complement
Woofer 1 - 15" Diameter (38.10cm)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Electrical
Overall Frequency Response 18Hz-150Hz
Nominal Impedance 4 ohms
Minimum Impedance 3.5 ohms
Power Handling (continuous) 400 w
Power Handling (peak) 800 w
Efficiency 90 dB
Voice Coil Diameter: Driver 2" (5.08cm)
Magnet Weight 63.40 oz.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Driver Mounting Depth
Top Mount 7-3/8" (18.73cm)
Bottom Mount 7-15/16" (20.16cm)
Cut-out
Driver Cut-out Diameter 13-7/8" (35.24cm)

Theile/Small Parameters
Recommended Enclosure Sealed / Ported / Bandpass
Resonant Frequency 24 Hz
Qms 10.21
Qes .49
Qts .47
Vas 6.595 cu.ft/186.75 L
Bl 15.8 Tesla Meters
Sd 126.22 sq.in. / 814.3 sq.cm.
Xmax (linear) .37 in. / 9.5 mm
Xmax (mechanical) .79 in. / 20 mm
Le 3.01 mH

Other
Product Weight 22.50 lbs.

If you want a REAL project think big. Forget your car. Buy a used school bus and all of the drivers that dealer has, get all the 12"er's and also the 15"er's just to be sure. :bigeyes:

Oh and one more thang, don't be driving that rig anywhere north of lake ontario thank you very much. :att'n:

GM said:
Fine for dipole, so-so for BP and BLH. What size/quantity you use depends on the app's size/performance goals, so it depends.

GM

What is BP and BLH? Bandpass? Back loaded horn?

rcavictim said:
If you want a REAL project think big. Forget your car. Buy a used school bus and all of the drivers that dealer has, get all the 12"er's and also the 15"er's just to be sure. :bigeyes:

Oh and one more thang, don't be driving that rig anywhere north of lake ontario thank you very much. :att'n:

You know what, that is my ultimate fantasy haha. I have always wanted to do something nuts like use a bus or a limo (or a hearse) and fill it full of woofers! :bigeyes:

GM

Joined 2003
If it is so-so in a BLH then it will be so-so in a typical BW FLH. An optimum one would have a ~10Hz Fc and be done by ~100Hz, so unless you have a basement you can convert or are willing/able to attach a concrete horn to a side of your listening room.......

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.