out of the corner.... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd June 2002, 07:27 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default out of the corner....

just last week, i finished building two 3 cu. ft vented passive subwoofer enclosures with a JBL 12gg01 inside each for my room, to replace my old modded passive subs/boxes.

i had originally placed the new boxes each in the front right/left corner of my room.. lotsa bass..

im currently rearranging my room.. and have noticed that they're not as bassy against a flat wall as they were in the corner...

currently, im underpowering the subs (60 rms into 150 rms), but im contemplating, increasing the power to them via a better amp.

would this make up for the loss of the corner gain?
Old 2nd June 2002, 07:49 AM   #2
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Default try to put them near the corner

Try moving them closer to the corner i have my 15 in the corner with the ports facing back because there in the rear of the box any ways.. i have put it in the center of the room and liked it because it filled the room more equaly but you have to put more power into it and watch it becauseyou can hear them bog down as much if there in the corner heeh

Jason

I have a usd pro c 15" running 300 into it.. at 4ohz sounds nice too hehe but want a 10" now with ported for my new appt..
Old 5th June 2002, 02:48 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

The corner is actually becoming a type of horn when you put a back firing port towards the wall. You get more bass for less power by using the extra db or 3 the walls give you.
Old 5th June 2002, 05:02 AM   #4
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Actually, Thatch, I think the studies show that the resonance frequency is increased about 6 dB in the corner. I measured it once and it was about that. The advantage begins to decrease as you move away form the port frequency.

Chester: To increase the power to compensate for the loss of corner placement, you need an amp 4 times as powerful as the one you have now. Plus, you would need an equalizer of filter that peaked at the box frequency.

Another thing you can do is to re-tune the box a half octave higher by shortening the port. This will cut your bass extension by half an octave but increase the bass output from the new port frequency on up.
Old 5th June 2002, 09:30 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default i gave in...

i thinks im just gonna end up sticking both subs in the same corner with my desk on a diagonal perpendicular to that corner....

im testing it out tommorrow.
Old 6th June 2002, 05:12 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default back in the corner...

oks.. i put both in the same corner with my desk in front...

im definitely noticing a diff...

i don't get any more standing waves inside my room and bass range is far much wider than i was what prepared for..

damm..
Old 6th June 2002, 10:13 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Up against the wall $#@^*+>< can be a good feeling for speakers, Just ask the next one comes to your school.
Thatch

Hide this!Advertise here!