Anyone buy the TB W4-656SB driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
optimal phase plug?

MarkMck
In the interest of futhering this effort, my wood lathe and some time are available for optimising the phase plug. I will turn to (your) pattern a range of phase plug profiles. The results to be shared on this forum. I'm willing to contribute to several rounds of evaluation in the effort to better define the bullseye and understand the benefits. e-mail me

Greetings all,

As I did state within that long post, there is no harm in damping your baskets. If you want to duct seal before mounting (and therefore even listening in final form) go right ahead. You do not need me to advise or help or direct.

I am pursuing a particularistic theory of reproduction accuracy. I am trained in doing research. I am trained in science (and I even know what science is and how one does science). I control for variables. I cannot double blind and so I am always skeptical of heard differences that cannot be independently verified by measurement. I have invested in test equipment of high precision and sensitivity. I know that equipment's capabilities and limitations. I try very hard to know what I am changing and what I am holding constant.

I may not always want to do the same modifications as others do. I will more than likely publish modifications that others do not. I will always publish test results showing what those modifications do to the performance of the driver.

There are many long standing ideas about how to design loudspeakers and how to improve loudspeaker performance that I find no basis for. Yet I will not seek out their threads and force my perspectives upon them. Yet if you come to a thread I started and ask me what I think about this or that idea, I may reply if I believe that reply will be helpful.

I apologize if that challenges your beliefs, but that is the foundation of science. See Karl Popper for detailed explanation of science and sophisticated falsificationism.

Good desiging and good building,

Mark

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
MarkMcK said:
no harm in damping your baskets.... I am always skeptical of heard differences that cannot be independently verified by measurement.

With your test kit is it possible to devise a measurement to determine what is happening, say 40 dB, below the main signal level? ie a test that might reveal whether a mod is allowing an increase in downward dynamic range.

dave

planet10 said:
...whether a mod is allowing an increase in downward dynamic range.

dave

Dave,

You completely lost me with that statement...but I'm not a mod.

What the heck is "downward dynamic range? Are you talking about the noise floor being raised by higher order distortion products during low pure tones? Whatever you meant it was not clear to me.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
To quote a luminariry...

the difference between hifi and mid fi is what is happening 40 dB down

and the common term used for this is "downward dynamic range" a term i 1st heard from Allen Wright.

It is the ability of a device to produce low level detail in the precense of a much larger signal. FR & typical distortion measurements don't tell us anything about this, and even noise floor measurements are not necessarily revealing since it has been clearly shown (at least in the case of vinyl replay) that the human ear can hear things below the noise floor.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.