get a load of this ebay listing!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My first speakers I ever bought were Technics.

They were wood looking (like the ones in the second post), they had a 12" woofer, a 4" cone midrange and a 2" cone tweeter. They were $140 at Circuit City in mid 90's.

They sounded so awsome after I hooked up to my then Sanyo minisystem, I thought they were the best :rolleyes:

Haha...I found em....this is them

48Hz-20Khz +- 10dB :xeye:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Its no different than any marketplace

Last week I bought a Hafler transnova p7000 factory refurb for 330 dollars on ebay. Great, straight deal, sounds fab. So, its not that there's no good deals left, its just that the demographics of the web now match the demographics of the general public. Idiots abound, caveat emptor, sharks feast on the idiots etc.

Clearly this guy is an idiot because he is now requesting in his listing that people stop sending him emails telling him what a rip off it is! Anyone who offers him at this this point deserves what they get.

I bought a Sansui Six receiver from ebay, 40 bucks CDN and they guy lived about ten minutes away from me. It was awesome seeing all the hi-fi equipment he had. Fisher Tube receiver (I wish I had that instead!), Klipsch, Tannoy, A lot of reel-to-reels and about an hour or two of conversation about hi-fi. It was awesome!

Re: Its no different than any marketplace

TheoM said:
Clearly this guy is an idiot because he is now requesting in his listing that people stop sending him emails telling him what a rip off it is! Anyone who offers him at this this point deserves what they get.

This is so funny. He has to believe what he wrote. Caveat emptor.

I think I will send him an email so I can see him publish it in the auction.

I've *heard* that in the UK, Technics speakers are a respected upper midfi sort of brand. This could be what's causing the confusion. In the US, we all know the stuff sold here as technics is junk. Could be that Canada has the stuff for the UK market.

So.... check it out before you throw any stones...

I can't tell from the picture really, but it looks like it could be loaded with decent audax or vifa sorta quality level drivers.

GB

I think there might be some confusion. Are you referring to the wood colored 3 ways I posted? Those are the speakers I owned, and yes I payed about $150 for them....they aren't the ones in the Ebay posting though.

I only ask because you mentioned the CD's, and those are in my picture. Sorry if that confused you :(

I've been watching the ebay posting and the guys has reduced his initial asking price down to $2399Can in 2 installments (tom1356: I did email him and it is not posted on the site).

Technics have produced some really interesting speakers (some from Japan that I've seen have been able to reproduce 20-100K absolutely flat - at $50000US, so they should), but they generally get panned on their low-fi stuff.

I've generally put them in the "not value for money" basket.

But, yes to the ebay comments. Caveat Emptor. There are some really good bargains out there to be had (and some great 'business' relationships to cultivate). But you can ripped off "something chronic" if you are not careful.

I'll be interested to see if they go off at all...

Cloth Ears said:
I'm not knocking Technics, they've had some pretty good speakers over the years (I had a pair about 20? years ago). But the ones on the ebay listing - I don't think they're the $4000Can value.

I'm prepared to be wrong...

Technics has made some very good high end equipment in the past including loudspeakers such as the SB-T1 which originally retailed at ~$2000 but these aren't them, not even close. The SB-T1 had horn tweet and mid in beautiful real wood. Very rare.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.