inexpensive tweeter to match vifa TC18WG-15-08

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i noticed parts express was doing a one day sale on these guys, and figured they would be nice for a new set of speakers. however, i dont know what tweeter to match up with these. i was thinking maybe something from Dayton, but if anyone knows of a better budget tweeter (preferably around $30 or less per pair) that would go decently with these, lemme know

also, if anyone has built something with these, what size enclosure worked best for you? just trying to see if anyone else has given these a shot.

Specifications:
*Power handling: 35 watts RMS/100 watts max
*VCdia: 1"
*L1: .8 mH
*Znom: 8 ohms
*Re: 5.45 ohms
*Frequency range: 40-4,000 Hz
*Fs: 41 Hz
*SPL: 86dB 2.83V/1m
*Vas: 1.03 cu. ft.
*Qms: 2.96
*Qes: .63
*Qts: .52
*Xmax: 4 mm

thanks

Bump. I was thinking about AP210Z0 (24L, 89dB, F3 ~57Hz, F6 ~42Hz), but now am considering 2x TC18WG (40L, 89dB, F3 ~58Hz, F6 ~46Hz) for 60% of the cost. Any comments on the Audax versus the Vifa?

If you search there is a thread on large vented boxes (140L) with dual TC18WG drivers. F3 ~35Hz. There are tweeter recommendations.

I was so close to getting a pair of these and the Audax TM025F1 while I was at work yesterday but I wanted to go home and see if I needed anything else before I made my order. By the time I got on to order the sale was over. :( Would have made a good budget speaker. Now I cannot seem to find anything I like under $50 or so.

thanks for the recommendations. i probably will stick with vifa for the tweeters, especially seeing as they are in the price range. has anyone built these things into cabinets yet? i've really been looking to do a floor standing setup, whether its sealed, ported, or better. any sizes that lend themselves better than others?

Vifa's

Hello all, this is my first post to this forum! :cool:

This might be a bit off-topic, but I couldn't resist posting :rolleyes:

I have a 2-way speaker project 'in progress' which uses Vifa's TC woofers and tweeters. The woofer used in this project is 5,5" TC14WG49-08, 7" TC18WG49's little brother. And the tweeter is earlier-mentioned TC20TD05-06.

They are to be installed into 14L bass-reflex enclosure, tuned around 44Hz.

Nice thing is, that If I build this 14L bass-reflex box and then for some reason want the 'closed-box' -sound, I can plug a piece of foam into the port and enjoy 'Qtc=0,6 sound'. But because the F3 for closed approach is quite high, I don't think I will ever need that :)
For a novice like me, it's quite interesting to notice how porting boosts bass performance...even for this small(ish) cabinet.

For Qtc=0,6 closed box: F3=~87Hz, F6=~63Hz
For bass-reflex: F3=~44Hz, F6=~38Hz

Later I might add some little active subwoofer to this system. The closed enclosure might be good for this use (no need for highpassing?).

I bit on the DOTD sale too. I bought 4 of 'em looking for an MTM design. I did a bit of modeling and found that a ported design would need ~4cu ft box to get some low f3s out of these 7" ers. Not the route I was looking to take, so I am going to mess around with an open baffle design using these woofers with active digital equalization (via the behringer ultra curve). I think in an open baffle design these drivers would be able to tolerate some eq'ing to get decent bass output at modest SPL levels in the neighboorhood of say 90 and pusing it, 100dB. My past few speakers have been sealed so I wanted to try something different. The sealed models I did just didn't give the f3 I wanted out of 7" ers so I figured I could active EQ them in a sealed enclosure but that just wouln't be any fun, so open baffle it is!

Oh, I'm also thinking of using the tangband 1-1/8" tweeter because I have it laying around from an old project. The tweeter has sounded nice so far and it has a small faceplate, ideal for mtm stuff, so I'll see how it goes. I already modeled up a crossover w/FRDs passive crossover designer and managed to get a decent looking third order electrical on both the tweeter and woofers at around 2000Hz, with a 4rth order acoustic. The freq response gradually slopes downward from about 100Hz to 5kHz, which will help out with the bafflestep/open baffle bass issues.

I'll keep you posted on the project if you want, and you guys keep me posted on what you are doing with these buyouts as well.

seeing as i'm still fairly green at making enclosures (done ported and sealed plenty), i've been wanting to tackle a TL setup with these. however, i have tried messing around with the programs to design TL's and got no where. sealed and ported i can figure out, but i want a new challenge and a set of floor standing speakers....:D

ok, so i picked up a set of the vifa TC20TD05-06 to fill out the tweeter spot. and seeing as i still dont understand how to calculate a TL enclosure, i was gonna just stick with a ported setup. however, when i modeled the mid in WinISD, the box came out way too large. we're talking almost 2 1/2 cu ft. i think i missed something here....

SQ Kid said:
we're talking almost 2 1/2 cu ft. i think i missed something here....

Sounds about right. You might consider sealed. I threw a pair of these in ~33L sealed box for Qts of 0.88, so you do need to give them some room to breathe; but for a single driver you could probably get away with 1 ft^3 for Q=.707.

Sealed F3 (nearfield measurement) was 60Hz. The extension was quite good (subjectively). Overall sound was not too bad but still a little boomy for my taste. I'd definitely recommend going with a lower Q alignment.

ok, i just wanted to make sure my math or one of my specs wasnt off. i usually try for the magic ".707", so if thats waht around a cube does, thats probably gonna be the ticket.

basically, i want floor standing, and something somewhat tall (3 feet or so....). yeah, i want sound, but i also want looks. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.