ACCUTON (THIEL) or ETON

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Scan Speak has great bass, but are beaten in the mids by the Seas Excel series.. Seas Excel have some nasty breakup modes in the upper mids/highs, so they need a complex filter to battle this. complex filters are very likely to degrade your sound. Eton is better in the bass than both Seas Excel and Accuton, probably on par with Scan Speak, but is beaten in the mids by both Accuton and Seas. Personally, My priority from a 7'' would be best possible mids so I would be likely to pick Seas Excel or Accuton.. Since I'm not too found of big passive filters, I'd go with Accuton if relying on passive filters, and use Seas Excel if I could use active filters (24dB/oct LR w. notch trap or somethin')

Rocky said:
Scan Speak has great bass, but are beaten in the mids by the Seas Excel series.. Seas Excel have some nasty breakup modes in the upper mids/highs, so they need a complex filter to battle this. complex filters are very likely to degrade your sound. Eton is better in the bass than both Seas Excel and Accuton, probably on par with Scan Speak, but is beaten in the mids by both Accuton and Seas. Personally, My priority from a 7'' would be best possible mids so I would be likely to pick Seas Excel or Accuton.. Since I'm not too found of big passive filters, I'd go with Accuton if relying on passive filters, and use Seas Excel if I could use active filters (24dB/oct LR w. notch trap or somethin')
http://seas.no/excel_line/excel/E0017.PDF

There is a single large peak at 5kHz for the W18EX (7" driver), which is outside its passband, so it shouldn't be that difficult to overcome. If you cross over low enough, you can use the W22 without any dispersion problems (i.e. under 1.6kHz or so) - that's what Linkwitz does in his Orion. He uses a Seas Millenium tweeter crossed over using a 24dB/oct L-R filter to a W22 at 1.4kHz. Such a crossover frequency does limit the speaker volume because the tweeter distorts more easily at lower frequencies, but seeing as this is a two-way, high SPL targets shouldn't be your goal anyway.

@ Pan: Thank you very much for the hint. Excels are really good speakers, but I made the experience that the lack some dynamics, at least in the designs I listened to. But it is always hard to compare different drivers when you listened to them in different speakers since then you hear the whole speaker and not only the driver, So I might be wrong by saying that I experienced some lack of dynamics with the Excels.

Kal

Pan said:
I´ve several systems with Accuton 7" ers, the best/among the best IMO.
/Peter

Keep in mind that the Accuton drivers have high demands with regards to cabinet construction and box dampening. Morten Design uses long haired sheep wool loosely filling the whole ported cabinet, others do other tricks. If you intend to use the Accuton drivers, i'd suggest you hook up with CM for some advice. He's probably the person on this forum with the most experience with Accuton drivers..

Seas Excel is a good driver, but not exceptional. The sound lacks microdynamics compared to ScanSpeak and Audiotechnology. Yes you get transient detail in your face, but compared to ScanSpeak or AT not enough to give the music the touch of reality (it's hard to describe). The efficiency is also terrible low :( Can be utilized in a moderate sized enclosure

Eton; go for the 7" HEX this is the only 7" eton you have to consider. It's ultra clean bass is the best in his class (yes IMHO better than SS or AT). The mids can be almost as good as the AT or SS, but you have to work on the cross-over to achieve that (my AT driver isn't fully broken in, so my AT may leap ahead in this department). Needs about 18-22l don't put it in a too big enclosure.

ScanSpeak; if you like the emotianal and intimate approach you need this driver. No other driver gives this much intimacy and "being there" feeling. You only have to consider the revelator, because that driver delivers afore mentioned qualities in spades. Efficiency is a bit better then Seas but still not very high, the dynamics don't suffer. Needs quite a large enclosure.

Audiotechnology; at this moment my choice the mids can't be compared with any other driver I have listened. Natural and airy presentation. Very 'fast' transients and as Duck said very good of-axis behaviour resulting in a very wide soundstage. This driver reaches also very low in a small enclosure (<40 Hz -3dB in 15-18l)

Unfortunate I have never listened to a Thiel&Partners ceramic driver. So I don't know. On specs and the published graphs I would choose this driver instead of the Seas Excel and expect the same behaviour, but better.

I just want to add that this is my opinion, each person listens differently and has other "boundary conditions". As always it is just a matter of taste. You can't go wrong with any of these drivers.

And a final remark, you need a good design, these drivers deserve it. If you can't design a speaker take a good design. Otherwise you will be disappointed, especially with the cones which show great cone-breakups. The AT and Scan are the most fool-proof in that respect.

LaMa said:
Very 'fast' transients and as Duck said very good of-axis behaviour resulting in a very wide soundstage. This driver reaches also very low in a small enclosure (<40 Hz -3dB in 15-18l)

I more or less quoted you there (without your permission ;) )

Btw you have a lot of listening experience. Apart from Accuton and maybe Focal and PHL, it nearly covers the whole current top market

Did somebody mention Vifa?

re eton 7"

I am currently building a small bokshelf monitor using the ETON 7 " Bass Mid.

I am also using the 19mm Eton tweeter.

I hope to use 1st or 2 nd order on tweeter and hopefuuly mechanical roll off on the bass mid.

The cabinets are about 25 % there so still knocking them up.

Hopefully they will be as successful as my last ETON project using 2 x 8" ported 5" mid sealed and tweeter. These are fabulous very fast dynamic and the bass is utterly incredible, who needs a sub ?

I was hoping to use the pioneer 4" full range at $0.69 from Parts express but the shipping is $120.00 so this may die a natural death. I was going to do a BOSE 901 overkill copy using 20 4" per cabinet plus a fill in tweeter.

I have not used Accuton as they are somewhat pricey and i previously used Focal for my projects. I am now using ETON as i ffel the BANG PER BUCK IS pretty good.

Very pleased with the results so far.

regards David:smash: :bawling: :smash: :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.