Both my base cones staged a gradual death in the same month - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th July 2004, 10:23 PM   #11
VvvvvV is offline VvvvvV  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Excellent ideas folks. I have attempted to reanimate the bass cones with electrical signals in various guises. I would have been very confused without all this wonderful advice. thanks!
I think that the driver's innards are fried.
The DC from the amplifier seems well balanced, with a pro audio
line signal amplified to maximum level I can hear very faint grey noise from just next to the speaker, and there is a reading of 60 Millli volts on the multimeter.

All this has made me realise of a possible cause, in that my very old budget amplifier has a short circuit on the auxiliary inputs which causes electric hum very loud sometimes. It is a c3 bass chord sound. I think it's harmless probably but I may have risked it. The dc measurement remains 60 milli volts when this humming happens. I guess I should tried to open the auxiliary inputs to isolate the false contact.
It's all confusing to me, I would have thought that loudspeakers required more volts than headphones... I guess i'll understand this one day.

I guess I will best get a new amplifier to be safe, time for a special treat

The cabinets are brilliant still, I wonder what I should do, anything with a real nice image representation and precise overbearing bass is good with me, any ideas what I should do with eight ohms tweeter/crossover/transmission line reflex cabinets (" |L| " cross section) ? Attached are the exact outlines of of the remaining sounds available:

thx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tdlt1.jpg (51.1 KB, 45 views)
Old 26th July 2004, 02:23 AM   #12
TheoM is offline TheoM  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Turn lemons into lemonade...

Now you can really get into the diy game by upgrading your speakers. I feel certain that for a very small amount of money you can make these sound better than they ever did.

If you can find the exact driver replacement on one of the links in the post above you should probably do it (boaring but safe) - otherwise you will have to reverse engineer some other driver to the box and crossover. This could be big fun. Also, as long as you are at it you could certainly get a better crossover and tweeter etc.

Let the experimentation begin!
Old 26th July 2004, 03:50 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default First remove the driver completely.

You probably have done this already. You should check the speaker terminals with a multimeter or a battery with the drive unit disconnected from the crossover.
As mentioned earlier , if the speaker was burnt out due to dc the coil will smell like burnt enamel wire. That is a strong smell and lasts for a long time. If the lead out wires are visible on the front of the cone , scrape off ( gently ) some black paint that is usually on it and measure the resistance .
Intermittent operation usually means that there might be a contact , or 'cracked wire' problem.
Check this out THOROUGHLY before buying a new driver or destroying the old one. If you are convinced that the coil is BURNT there is no harm in carefully cutting out the dome on the front and inspecting and "smelling" the coil. That should confirm your conclusion or generate new doubts !
Cheers.
Old 6th October 2004, 01:42 PM   #14
VvvvvV is offline VvvvvV  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The other one has died as well now, of the same death, the braided wires under the diaphragm developed a bad contact recently at normal volumes.
I found where to get some replacements,TDL LF driver 172NS07 available from us at GBP26.25 plus VAT and shipment, each, which seems like an exorbitant deal, coming at over 70 pounds /USD150 delivered, from some cheap looking plastic moulded fragile drivers ? Is it really important than I match the drivers? Can't I just add any new good-quality ones in? Anything would beat what they had with them.
Old 6th October 2004, 02:02 PM   #15
Mark25 is offline Mark25  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

try wilmslow audio, they re-driver lots of older speakers that have suffered the same fate as yours. They can do the work for you, or just supply the parts. Do everything possible while your in there, cable, caps, etc. if they don't have the exact driver, they can prob offer you an upgrade alternaative. there are also drive unit re-cone companies in the UK, one advertises in Hifi world mag, sorry i cant remeber the co name.
Good Luck.

Hide this!Advertise here!