Audiosphere Research RMS-4000 Loudspeakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have come across a mint pair of Audiosphere Research RMS-4000 Loudspeakers and I am looking for more information regarding these speakers. I understand that the maker of these speakers is no more and I have been unable to come up with any usefull information. The only information I have is what is printed on the back of the speakers.

Woofer: 12" Poly
Midrange: 5" Ferro-fluid cooled
Tweeter: 3/4" Dome Ferro-fluid cooled
Operative Power Range: 5 - 150 Watts
Reccomended Amp. Power: 5 - 100 Watts
Frequency Response: 30 - 22000 Hz
Crossover Frequency: 1800 and 5000 Hz
Impedance: 8 ohms
System: Dual port bass reflex
Protection: Automatic circut breaker

Please see the attached photo.

How can I determine the sensitivity of these speakers?

A cross-over of 1800 Hz seems high for a 12" driver that supposedly goes down to 30 Hz. I would have expected a crossover point in the 500 Hz or so range.

Should I take the drivers off to get a better look or is this a bad idea as there may be a sealant around the drivers? I would like to look at the quality of the components on the cross-over.

How does an automatic circut breaker re-set itself? I see no buttons or fuses.

To me, the speakers sound good. However, mono sounds good until you hear stereo, so it may be I don't know what I am listening for. I read about test CDs in here every so often. What are these test CDs and where can I find one? I think my ears may need training.

Should I leave these speakers as is, or should I be considering improvements?

Any help, comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
GM.

Attachments

• rms-4000.jpg
    rms-4000.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 213
It's a unfair to call these "white van" speakers. If it's the same Audiosphere Research, they were a staple at Canadian Hi-Fi shops in the seventies, filling in the low-cost range for those who weren't buying JBL or the Brits. The marketing ploy was Big Cabinets. This was prior to Mirages, PSBs, etc. finally burying them with NRC designed product. The speakers were never very good, though I recall AR making a stab at quality product before disappearing. You never know, the drivers might be worth playing with. It's very, very, very unlikely you'll find quality x-over components. Very. If it's a seventies AR the cabinet won't be properly aligned. My guess is it makes a better flower box or cat house.

I bought them from a friend who I was helping move and had he already upgraded and no longer had room for them. The speakers were purchased in late 1995 from Future Shop. I imagine they could be as old as 1992 as I don't figure Future Shop holds on to stock much more than 3 years. However, there is no date anywhere on the speakers.

I guess I could take them apart to see if i can get more info from the drivers.

I figured that as they came from Future Shop someone would know something.

Cheers,
GM.

rdf said:
It's a unfair to call these "white van" speakers. If it's the same Audiosphere Research, they were a staple at Canadian Hi-Fi shops in the seventies, filling in the low-cost range for those who weren't buying JBL or the Brits. The marketing ploy was Big Cabinets. This was prior to Mirages, PSBs, etc. finally burying them with NRC designed product. The speakers were never very good, though I recall AR making a stab at quality product before disappearing. You never know, the drivers might be worth playing with. It's very, very, very unlikely you'll find quality x-over components. Very. If it's a seventies AR the cabinet won't be properly aligned. My guess is it makes a better flower box or cat house.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.