Where to buy 1 3/8" port? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st July 2004, 10:35 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Where to buy 1 3/8" port?

I am trying to use a 1 3/8" adjustable port for my Jim Griffin Jordans, but partsexpress has them on backorder with no date in sight. I checked Madisound and they didn't carry it. Is there anywhere else I can find this thing? Thanks.
Old 21st July 2004, 12:20 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Couldn't you re-size the port a bit? Use 1-1/2 inch or 1-3/4 inch and lengthen the port a little?
Old 21st July 2004, 02:16 PM   #3
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Speaker City sells ports as well. They have 1.75 inch ports listed, but I do not know if that is the inside diameter, the outside diameter, or the outside of the flange. As the page says, all you need to do is add PVC pipe to extend the length and make it adjustable.

Here is the page with the ports:
http://www.speakercity.com/hardware/ports.shtml

Here is the home page. If you don't have broadband, this page can take a long, long time to load:
www.speakercity.com

They have the toll free number on both pages so you can ask what that 1.75 inch really refers to. As you can see, the outfit seems to be on a par with Parts Express and Madisound-I think it is the same outfit that has been around since the eighties known as Just Speakers.

PS: As wunhuanglo mentioned, resizing might not be a bad idea. Just give us the internal volume, or, failing that, the external dimensions of your enclosure, and I or another poster can run a program giving you the length of the equivalent port using a larger diameter-the box will be tuned to the same frequency, which is the whole point of the port.
Old 21st July 2004, 10:36 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

DIYNewbie,

I'll sell you mine if you want. After hearing all the great reviews, I was planning on making 2 pairs, but was less than bowled over by the sound. I therefore have an extra pair I probably won't find a use for. Heck, I'll give 'em to you for the price of shipping. Mail me if you're interested.
Old 22nd July 2004, 12:59 AM   #5
markp is offline markp  United States
diyAudio Member

Speaker City has been around since the '70s and always has been Speaker City. I worked there for 5 years about 15 years ago and still go in for parts all the time. They are a great family owned business and know their stuff. They have most everything that you need in the way of drivers , crossovers, and cabinets etc.. Give them a try sometime. I don't work for them anymore, I just like what they stock and their knowledge of speakers.
Old 22nd July 2004, 02:06 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Greyhorse - I certainly won't pass that offer up. Send me an e-mail - bradrodgers @ earthlink.net and we'll work out the details. What about the Jordans were you less than thrilled with?

Thanks again!
Old 22nd July 2004, 10:45 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I just checked the price of the ports, and belatedly realised this wasnft quite the magnanimous offer I thought it was. Unless you can tolerate the wait for a surface mail shipment, this deal isnft worth it.

As for the sound of the speakers, I was originally using the drivers open baffle for about a month before I got around to building the boxes. Used OB, the midrange was unusually direct, and open. This disappeared as soon as I boxed them, but this may have more to do with the increased bass performance I was getting. Ifve heard a lack of bass tends to highlight the higher frequencies. The other problem is that while there is an incredible amount of bass, what there is, is fairly one-notish. I know you really canft expect too much bass performance from a single full-range driver, but if possible, Ifd like to see what else this driver is capable of.

Jay Fisher has a most elegant looking ML-TL design displayed on Martin Kingfs quarter-wave website, and after finishing the Buschhorns Ifm working on now, Ifm thinking of building them.
Old 22nd July 2004, 03:41 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Greyhorse - I appreciate teh offer anyway. It probably doesn't make too much sense to pay shipping for such a low dollar part. So, next solution?

The enclosures are built and are 12.25" x 8.5" x 8" (exterior dimensions) with a 1.5" thick front baffle and 3/5" walls. BY my calculations that puts me at 6.17 liters or 0.22 cu ft. What other port sizes work work?

Thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!