Peerless exclusive tweeter comment?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's a special that only WES carries and it is supposed to compliment the HDS drivers. WES use it in their kits designed by SSS.

I've used it on a couple of different bookshelf speakers with the 850488 and the results were very good indeed..... a pleasant surprise. A very smooth detailed tweeter with no harshness and a very good off axis response.

Much better than the tweeter in the B&W DM303 which was the benchmark for these bookshelf speakers and probably better than those in the 6 series as well.

Better than the Peerless 811827, Vifa D26NC but not quite as good (not by much) as the SEAS 27TFFC which is around the same price. The SEAS is probably a bit more robust and can handle a bit more abuse.

This is one bookshelf that they were used in.

Attachments

• pmt.jpg
    pmt.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 236
I had to look at your homepage after that comment - anyone who has any music by The KLF is worthy of a bow :D

What woofer are you looking to use? I'm after an in-expensive 2 or 2.5 way design (8 ohms) with parts sourced from Aus / NZ due to shipping $ from USA (even though our kiwi $ for forex isn't too bad at the moment)

I'd really be interested in your plans....

Cheers,
David.

Thank you for your helpful reply Rabbitz,

You've put to rest my concerns about the quality of this tweeter.

For lack of time to build boxes I'm considering the WES HDS150 which pairs the 850528 (shielded version of 850488) with this tweeter, but the frequency response looks like long term listening may possibly be fatiguing- the crossover looks like it runs the the tweeter a bit on the hot side:

page 5 of 1.2MB PDF-
http://www.wescomponents.com/DataSheets/CATHDS.pdf

Had any experience/audition of the WES kits?

Hi tktran

I've never heard any of the WES HDS kits.

The one I've built has about an extra 2 litres volume. If you find the top end a bit hot you can always pad it down a bit with the L-pad. Took a while to get the level right in mine and is not hot at all. I built a second set for my daughter and had to pad hers down a tad further as her amp is quite bright...... one of the plusses of DIY you can tailor to the equipment.

For a comparison mine is 380H x 180W x 275D using 16mm MDF. Vb=11.3 litres, Fb=65Hz, F3=59Hz, ø58 x 120 port. Uses a series crossover (3450Hz).

The top end does look a bit ott but usually fatigue is caused by peaks or a slightly raised ouput around 1-3k (maybe more) this makes the sound very foward and edgy which is most unpleasent and hard on the ears. A raised trebble output usually just adds a bit of sparkle to the sound adding false openess etc.

Thanks Ap, - but isn't the 850488 an 8 Ohm driver? Sorry if I didn't make myself clear - but I was after a dual woofer per side (2 way or 2.5 way) presenting a total of 8 ohms to the amp?

If you have any designs that are nominal 8 Ohm (or 6 Ohm at a pinch) I'd really appreciate anything you could share.

Thanks,
Dave.

Hi Dave

You're going to be pushing to find dual woofers to give you an 8 ohm load. The only 5" I know of is the Vifa M13SG-09-16 that is 16 ohm (from WES) and will give a nominal 8 ohm in parallel. You can find a few 4 ohm ones out there that you could run in series to give you a nominal 8 ohm.

Good luck.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.