diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Multi-Way (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/)
-   -   Audax on sale again... (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/37953-audax-sale-again.html)

Zaph 17th July 2004 03:37 AM

Audax on sale again...

At Parts Express. Hunt down parts 276-152 and 296-145 and you'll find the AP100Z0 for $19 and the TM025F1 for $13. Still not as cheap as the $15 and $7 they had a while back, but generally a good deal.

These are used in the design I just posted.

Audax Mini

http://home.new.rr.com/zaph/audio/au...14-system1.jpg

Tuning options have been discussed in that massive thread about the Maplins coseouts, but I've come to the conclusion these sound better sealed. The group delay is too noticable at the tuning frequency otherwise. I choose to have less bass if I can have it cleaner.

Regards,
John

Ps. I recall Madisound matching PE's pricing on some sale items before, so if you'd rather deal with Madisound, ask them about it. They have the woofer on sale for $19, but the tweets are not on sale. Also, raid Madisound's cap and coil specials. The steel laminate 1.6mH's become 1.5's with 3 turns unwrapped.

Bull 23rd July 2004 12:44 PM

Very nice, look like speakers you can buy in HIFI shops.:cool: :D

jackinnj 23rd July 2004 01:26 PM

Re: Audax on sale again...

Quote:

Originally posted by Zaph
At Parts Express. Hunt down parts 276-152 and 296-145 and you'll find the AP100Z0 for $19 and the TM025F1 for $13. Still not as cheap as the $15 and $7 they had a while back, but generally a good deal.

Regards,
John

Ps. I recall Madisound matching PE's pricing on some sale items before, so if you'd rather deal with Madisound, ask them about it. They have the woofer on sale for $19, but the tweets are not on sale. Also, raid Madisound's cap and coil specials. The steel laminate 1.6mH's become 1.5's with 3 turns unwrapped.

The AP100Z0 is shielded if I recall correctly.

tiroth 23rd July 2004 01:48 PM

Yep.

markp 23rd July 2004 01:54 PM

The 'A' is for shielded, 'P' for plastic frame, 100 is the diameter, 'Z' is aerogel cone, and '0' is version number.

Zaph 23rd July 2004 01:58 PM

Re: Re: Audax on sale again...

Quote:

Originally posted by Zaph

Quote:

Originally posted by jackinnj
The AP100Z0 is shielded if I recall correctly.
Good catch, the Madisound sale item is not shielded. Also, it's specs are different enough that it looks like it won't work in this design. Everyone who wants to use this crossover should stick to the shielded woofers.

Looks like the non-sheilded version has more magnetic strength with the resulting changes in parameters - higher efficiency and lower Qts. Low efficiency is a sore point of the shielded version.

I'll have to update my web page when I get home to make sure people use the shielded version with my design.

John

tiroth 23rd July 2004 02:41 PM

Anyone have an opinion on AP210Z0? I am thinking of picking a few of these up for 50-400Hz duty for surround speakers. They look pretty decent.

sberube 23rd July 2004 11:28 PM

volume adjustment?

John, you mention that you find this design sounds better in a sealed enclosure. Is that using the exact same volume or do you make an adjustment for the sealed version?

Thanks.

Zaph 24th July 2004 05:11 AM

Re: volume adjustment?

Quote:

Originally posted by sberube
John, you mention that you find this design sounds better in a sealed enclosure. Is that using the exact same volume or do you make an adjustment for the sealed version?

Thanks.

No change, I use that enclosure sealed. It measures out to a box Qtc of .66 after everything is in place. It could probably be made a little bit smaller with no ill effect.

People don't realize how sloppy and loose a high qts woofer can sound when used in a vented alignment. Group delay is terribly audible.

Vikash 24th July 2004 12:57 PM

Hi Zaph, I may have to rethink my design then. What is the net effect of bad group delay? sloppy bass? Group Delay is one of those graphs I've ignored up until now.

Perhaps my six drivers would be better made into sealed monitors for a HT setup. Hmmm.