Legendary speakers..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know this is an ancient thread, but I've just fond this forum and couldn't resist a first post. Regarding 'legendary speakers' I notice someone has suggested the Gale 401C, but for me the GS401A wins!

I first fell for them in about 1977 and picked up a secondhand pair
for £300 shortly after. A couple of blown tweeters meant an interesting visit to the Gale factory, located in Bruton Place just off Mayfair. My teeth were clenched as I saw the mallet used to get the chrome end caps off...

:smash:

My affair with them lasted until 2001 after 24 mainly happy years, punctuted with a few partings for more repairs. Life with my Monitor Audio Studio SE20s has never really been the same since.

:bawling:

By the way, came across this forum looking for clues as to why my Marantz 6000SE Signature won't play all copied CDs, and was comforted to hear I wasn't the only one with the problem.

Happy listening

Rob:cool:

Kingsleyrob said:
I know this is an ancient thread, but I've just fond this forum and couldn't resist a first post.

Don't worry, it's about classical speakers, so the thread can be ethernal. :D

Kingsleyrob said:
Life with my Monitor Audio Studio SE20s has never really been the same since.

From what I've heard throught the years, I have a strong feeling that Monitor Audio was very good and made their best speakers through the 80s up to the mid 90's and now it's just a mainstream brand.
Nothing special...:dodgy:
Do you feel the same?

Yes Carlos - agree with your comment about Monitor Audio becoming mainstream over the last ten years or so, although my knowledge of the HiFi world has diminished over the years.

I see you are in Lisbon - lovely place! I visied Estoril for the Grand Prix in the early 90s, 1991 I think. Gerhard Berger won.

Rob

What about the Barker Duode. A full range 12 inch ( 30 Hz to over 15 Khz), from the late forties. USA will have never heard of it, but it used a light weight cambric cone, and an patented aluminium tube voice coil former which was coated with latex, over which the voice coil was wound. The latex isolated the voice coil at high frequencies so only the tube was driven, so extended the HF range, at the cost of increased damping at low frequencies. Large cabinets were required.
The importance was that this system was picked up by Hartley, and used in combination with a compliance part way up the cone, and sold extensively in the states in the '50s.

Legendary drivers

I think these are still unmentioned--

In the driver category: EV T350, JBL 075 and 077, JBL 375, Stephens Trusonic 80FR, JBL LE8T, D130.

For systems (that helped create an industry): the JBL Hartsfield, the KLH Model 6

For audacity: The Sunlight Engineering Model 308 18" coaxial.

Dang

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.