Drafting Software(Mac)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I hear that QCad is not too bad for hobbyist use.

It's free(-ish? I think you can do quite a bit without ponying up any cash) and has been used by hobbyists on projects ranging from speaker cabinet design all the way over to more complicated R/C airplanes. There are some great examples on the site to see what you can do with it.

QCad Site

The mac version is far enough along that it doesn't cause any major crashes when dealing with more complex subjects. Unfortunately, I have not had much time to do any serious work with it. I am also not a seasoned CAD user.

Other members of this board may have more insightful comments, though. :)

Hope this helps,
Chris

I think that those images were created from cad drawings by graphic artists, using tools such as photoshop and illustrator. There are at least three stages to consider - design activity, documentation (shop drawings), and technical illustration (marketing and education). You may not find all in one software pkg, let alone a free one.
Something to try out for design might be Maya Personal Learning Edition, which is available for OSX and is free...

http://www.alias.com/eng/products-services/maya/maya_ple/index.shtml
from the web page....
Maya Personal Learning Edition is a special version of Maya® software, which provides free access to Maya for non-commercial use. It will give 3D graphics and animation students, industry professionals, and those interested in breaking into the world of computer graphics (CG) an opportunity to explore all aspects of the award winning Maya Complete™ software in a non-commercial capacity.

Example of speaker graphics

This is what I am after.

Attachments

• dalinesm.gif
    dalinesm.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 147
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Example of speaker graphics

macmeech said:
This is what I am after.

That is mine. Came off my pretty pictures page:

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/design/foldings/index.html

I use VectorWorks, Alias Sketch, and PhotoShop to generate those.

VectorWorks is a full-blown CAD package (eats AutoCAD for breakfast IMHO -- and leaves enuff change to buy a Mac to run it on). Unless you are well heeled you aren't going to run out and buy it for just doing speakers (about $800 USD i'm guessing). I use it because it has been in my toolkit since 1980-something.

Sketch is the 3D program i got as a bonus when i bought my LaserWriter IIg. It is old & dated, but i know it really well so i just keep using it -- one of these days i'm going to have to pick up something else, but is a testiment to how long-lived Mac stuff is -- my release is from 1993). The version of Maya mentioned is much more capable than this, and the stuff you are talking about is real simple.

Stuff like this takes an awful lot more work (i used the same tools + Illustrator):

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

dave

If you are looking for a real 2d/3d drafting package, I second the Vectorworks vote - Vectorworks is excellent. If you are looking for a simple (but very capable) 3d modelling package to produce drawings similar to planet10's, I strongly recommend SketchUp (Sketchup. I used Alias Sketch, too ( I don't want to say how long ago, for fear of dating me!), and loved it. I think that Sketchup is pretty close (and runs on OS X). There are a lot of others, too. Check out www.macupdate.com or similar site.

You know, reading this thread I wondered what speaker design software is available for the Mac. I have unibox and Passive Crossover Designer spreadsheets, but wonder if a good speaker design package is available. I know that True Audio used to make MacSpeakerz, but they seemed to have stopped development, which is too bad. Any good speaker design software out there?
[Yes, I could run something under Virtual PC, but I don't want to]

Software Instructions

Would it be possible to create a permanent file with specific instructions in Vectorworks 10, IllustratorCS, and Photoshop CS as how to make a model
of a 2 way standmount speaker? I have the software I just don't know where to start.

As far as speaker software is concerned, MacSpeakerz is about it. I think that a 3D modeling program should be included. I think Virtual PC may be the answer with LSPCad and Praxis. I am still investigating, however. The process involves a constuction template in 2D, and a 3D design drawing especially for TL designs.
Actual measurements within the box have to be taken for the XO design, and the box has to be modeled with the factory driver characteristics to get a starting point for cubic feet. Talk about art and science!

Attachments

• african-mahogany-speakerssm.gif
    african-mahogany-speakerssm.gif
    17.9 KB · Views: 59
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
sbolin said:
You know, reading this thread I wondered what speaker design software is available for the Mac. I have unibox and Passive Crossover Designer spreadsheets, but wonder if a good speaker design package is available. I know that True Audio used to make MacSpeakerz, but they seemed to have stopped development, which is too bad. Any good speaker design software out there?
[Yes, I could run something under Virtual PC, but I don't want to]

I hate running VPC too... i do put up with it to run Martin King's model.

Chris Lisco (aka CrisTUFR -- there is a thread somewhere) is working on a set of OS X software widgets. Measurement stuff is 1st on his agenda thou.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.