Newbie JBL horn question - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th July 2004, 01:35 AM   #11
markzb is offline markzb  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Hi Tim

Thanks for all that info. Everything is beginning to crystalize to me the way your explaining it.

This midbass horn you speak off.... Could you perhaps point out or recommend some designs on the net I could take a look at?

What would your personal choice be for both the mid range horn, and the mid bass horn you suggest?

Cheers

mark
Old 18th July 2004, 02:51 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default Horns

Hey again,

If you want to try to duplicate a very good speaker, try looking at the JBL Hartsfield, have a look here:

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/pr...hartsfield.htm

This unit has a complex box, uses obsolete drivers, but can be updated with current components to give great sound. See Classic's take on this great speaker:

http://www.classicaudiorepro.com/

If interested in a midbass horn, I would suggest looking at Bruce Edgar's 80 Hz or 100 Hz horns for 15". They use EV 15, Altec 515, Altec 416, 421, or JBL 2226, or even a JBL K140 would probably work.

New 15" that look good would be from McCauley, Precision Devices, JBL, even Eminence perhaps, or the P Audio SN-15 MB, a neodymium magnet design. Seleniim, Beyma, and Ciare might be good sources as well.

You might consider a search for Rog Mogale's desisns, and a look at McBean's Horn Response design program. This will take quite a lot of DIY on your part, but you may actually enjoy the process.

Lastly, you might just purchase a Klipsch, JBL or Altec classic and use it until you can build your own.

Tim
Old 18th July 2004, 06:10 AM   #13
markzb is offline markzb  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Hi Tim

Thanks for the reply. These Bruce Edgar horns. You see his name mentioned in quite a few places on the net. But you dont see any real specific details of his horns. Perhaps Im just not able to find it...heh heh.

Would you be able to point me in a direction where I can see them on the net, or learn more about these Edgar midbass horns. Does he sell plans? Any pointers would be much appreciated!

I also like your suggestion of just starting 2 way and add on to the system as funds permit. Thanks for that!

Which mid horn do you personally use yourself Tim?

Cheers

mark
Old 18th July 2004, 07:21 AM   #14
vuki is offline vuki  Croatia
diyAudio Member

You can download all Edgar's horn articles here: http://www.volvotreter.de/
Old 19th July 2004, 12:16 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

mark,
I have the Community M200 driver and SH494 horn shown here:

http://www.community.chester.pa.us/horndriv.html

This covers a range of 400 Hz to around 3500 Hz, but runs to almost 8K Hz. Gets a little ragged up high.

I also have the JBL 2440 and DDS 90 degree horns, but I'll probably be looking at a larger conical design. For home use I like around 90 degree dispersion, and fiberglass construction. Although I own the old Altec 511 1"aluminum horn and enjoy the way it fills the room, the metal construction rings and must be damped with something like sand or viscoelastic pads.

Folks that I know, or know about, that have the room and skills to build larger horns, closer to 1/3 or 1/2 wavelength rather than a quarter, are producing very good sound from what I have read.
Large conical designs seem to be working out well for mid range applications.

EV made a nice sounding 2" horn, the HR 640, and will work very well with the 2440/2441/375 drivers, or even the TAD 4001/4002.

A nice 2 way might be a quartet of the P Audio SN 15MB and a TAD 2001 crossed at 750 or 1000 Hz. Also look at the Community VHF 100 1" driver. Looks very good. Run a sub or two below 80Hz and you might have quite a system. Big dynamics, little compression, and clean, low distortion sound.

Tim

Hide this!Advertise here!