Electrovoice Wolverine 8"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Electrovoice Wolverine 8"

Does anyone here know anything about these speakers? I just got 8 of them given to me. I haven't tested them yet but they seem to be in good condition. They are really cool looking with a nice cast basket, paper cones with a whizzer and a classy logo on the dustcap (complete with the namesake rodent ;) ) I don't have the time to test them yet but I was wondering if anyone has heard them or heard of them..... one pair may go on my bookcase because they are pretty. The others may end up who knows where.... TL? maybe..... :radar:

Here's a good place to start looking for vintage EV stuff.

http://www.geocities.com/tadgesualdo/index.html

I have a pair of LS-8 Wolverines. These are great sounding speakers. They are only rated for 20 watts, but EV's ratings are very conservitive. They have an Fs of about 75 Hz, so don't have much low bass. High frequency roll off is around 10kHz. They have a Qts of about 1 and work great in an open baffle. Should work good in a large bass reflex or TQWP, or an aperiodic box.

Below is some sample specs sent to me by another forum member. I also have specs for the MC-8 if that's what you have. Just let me know.
BTW, LS-8's normally have AlNiCo magnets, MC-8's have ceramic.

Dave :)

T/S for (2) LS8 I measured:
EV - LS8 Sample #1
"Fs = 76.000 Hz"
"Zmax = 15.825 ohms"
"Re = 5.600 ohms"
"Zdb3 = 10.954"
"F1 = 59.781 Hz"
"F2 = 95.587 Hz"
"Qms = 4.152"
"Qes = 1.469"
"Qts = 1.085"
"Le = 0.1970 mH"
"FsA = 48.000 Hz"
"Sd = 248.286 sq.cm"
"Cms = 0.3304 mm/N"
"Mms = 0.01327 kg"
"BL = 4.915 Tm"
"n0 = 0.82976 %"
"Vas = 28.807 liters"
"SPL = 91.208 dBSPL 1W/1M"

EV - LS8 Sample #2
"Fs = 80.000 Hz"
"Zmax = 10.756 ohms"
"Re = 4.780 ohms"
"Zdb3 = 8.617"
"F1 = 63.473 Hz"
"F2 = 100.614 Hz"
"Qms = 3.883"
"Qes = 1.726"
"Qts = 1.195"
"Le = 0.1565 mH"
"FsA = 48.000 Hz"
"Sd = 248.286 sq.cm"
"Cms = 0.3518 mm/N"
"Mms = 0.01125 kg"
"BL = 3.958 Tm"
"n0 = 0.87721 %"
"Vas = 30.671 liters"
"SPL = 91.449 dBSPL 1W/1M"

some elcraigo T/S

Sweet...

These are LS-8's.

Looks like an OB wideband mid with a low woofer and super tweet might go in the bedrom now......:cool:

Like I said I got 8 of them, although some have torn surrounds. Most are OK. I am trying to fix the little tears and if succesful they might go to the garage system.

Does any one know how to clean the grunge off of the surround and edge of the cone without causing damage? They are pretty crusty at the edges....

These were in two mini line array boxes and sounded horrible when I got them. It was a small green box about 10"x 8" x 40" with all four woofs mounted in a line top to bottom with a vent at the bottom. Really bad sounding. I can't wait to play with these at home when I get the time....

Thanks for the info all...
-=Tim=-

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Electrovoice Wolverine 8"

HiSPL said:
(complete with the namesake rodent ;) )

A wolverine is not a rodent... they are vicious carnivores....

dave

Attachments

• ev-wolverine-ls8.jpg
    ev-wolverine-ls8.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 490
As a side note about the Wolverine (the animal), these were thought to no longer exist anymore in Michigan (the wolverine state) for the last 40 years or so. Resently, some were spotted in Western Michigan. I don't know if this is a good thing or not, as these are the most dangerous animal in the state, and one of the most dangerous in North America. If cornered, they are more vicious then any other animal.
Piture a VERY BIG weasel and you get an idea what a wolverine is.
Quess the speaker line is named after a very capable critter.

Dave:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.