Mirage M1 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th July 2004, 05:28 PM   #1
urapnes is offline urapnes  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Mirage M1

I am looking to clone a pair of older Mirage M1 speakers. Does anyone have any info on these things (make/model of the drivers)? I looked at Mirage's website to get some info, ie the crossover points, and number/sizes of the drivers, but not enough info to build a set. Any help would be great!

Thanks

Joel
Old 13th July 2004, 01:37 AM   #2
urapnes is offline urapnes  United States
diyAudio Member

I called mirage today. They stated that all the drivers used in the M- series of speakers were their own design and not available anywhere. I wonder how the speakers in the avalon clones would work in M-1 cabinets?

Any thoughts?
Old 6th August 2005, 02:41 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Question MIRAGE M1 DRIVES

I HAVE ONE PAIR OF MIRAGE M1 8" DRIVES BRAND NEW ,IF ANYBODY INTERESTED ON THEM SEND EMAIL.THANKS
Old 7th August 2005, 06:55 AM   #4
MarkR is offline MarkR  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Driver size's and x/o points

I managed to find this on mirage's site:

M1si

2-1" pure titanium hybrid tweeters

2-5" poly-propolene midrange/fullrange

2-8" woofers with poly/carbon filled treated cones with 1.5" or 38mm voice coils

Crossover points are listed as 300Hz and 2 kHz

http://miragespeakers.com/PDFs/class...SIbrochure.pdf

copy and paste this link into your browser and you will find detailed info including a cut away of the enclosure. Good Luck!
Old 15th August 2005, 12:39 PM   #5
hooha is offline hooha  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hmm... Where to begin...

Having been around API when the original M1's were in production I think I can provide you with some info on the design.

All the drivers from the original M1's were built in-house. The tweeters were a direct rip from the Energy 22s (cloth dome design) and the Image line (thick plastic oval faceplate). If you can get a pair of Image tweeters you're well on your way. They were awesome drivers.

The mids were 4" in diameter. Nothing special about them. A pair of Seas 4" mids would be good replicas...

The woofers were of long<er> throw design. Memory is pretty grey but I recall Qts on them were ~0.4 - 0.43. We always had to keep costs down so no cast baskets or other fancy thinks like that.

The cabinets were quite a piece of work. the woofers were in separate enclosures; the front sharing area with the tweeters. The mids were in their own enclosure made of sonotube-like tube with a customized 1/2" particle board brace running front to back. There were two guys dedicated to building the M1s. They woould get 2 pair done per day.

The woofers were crossed over at two different points - the back at 200Hz and the front at 400Hz. the Xover used a combination ferrite and air core inductors (ferrite for the woofers) and electrolytic/poly caps.

More as I remember...

Mark

Hide this!Advertise here!