re-staining/colouring speaker cabinets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have a pair of Goodmans LS3/5a speakers which have birch ply cabinets with a teak veneer finish. Most of my living room furniture is oak and I wondered about the possibility of re-colouring them. I guess I'd have to strip any wax with turpentine and sand of some of the veneer, stain with oak stain and re-polish.

Sounds easy but I'd be interested if anyone has done such a thing. It could look hideous afterward if it goes wrong

Any good or bad experiences ?

many thanks

Jonathan Ives

To get the wax for you speakers you might want to use some laquer thinner. The lightly sand the cabinets 220 grit then dye the teak another color. Don't use stain.

http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/htdocs/TransTint.htm

Since it is a dye it will color better than a stain and you have more options for mixing. Mix with alcohol for a fast-drying, non-grain raising stain. No waiting or straining is necessary because the dye is pre-dissolved.

Suggested mix ratio is 2 oz. dye per 1/2 gallon solvent (increase or decrease ratio to suit need). Dye solutions can be applied by brush, rag, spray, or sponge. When using a water-reduced dye, a pre-grain raising is advisable -- apply the dye with an abrasive pad like maroon Mirlon.

jewilson said:
To get the wax for you speakers you might want to use some laquer thinner. The lightly sand the cabinets 220 grit then dye the teak another color. Don't use stain.

http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/htdocs/TransTint.htm

Since it is a dye it will color better than a stain and you have more options for mixing. Mix with alcohol for a fast-drying, non-grain raising stain. No waiting or straining is necessary because the dye is pre-dissolved.

Suggested mix ratio is 2 oz. dye per 1/2 gallon solvent (increase or decrease ratio to suit need). Dye solutions can be applied by brush, rag, spray, or sponge. When using a water-reduced dye, a pre-grain raising is advisable -- apply the dye with an abrasive pad like maroon Mirlon.

Doesn't state what "color" the oak that he wants to match has been stained or whether it has been oxidized, etc.

He may have to remove the wax and then bleach -- sometimes you can get decent results with household bleach and the sunshine, or a two-part wood bleach. Best thing to do is try it out on an inconspicuous part of the speaker (i.e. the bottom).

If using a volatile organic solvent like lacquer thinner or methyl-ethyl ketone best to work outdoors and wear a mask.

Thought I might post an update.

I :

a) darkened the wood with Jacobean BRIWAX, which worked well

b) Got some new grilles made up bi Sid Chaplin http://www.vintage-radio.com/trg/index.shtml

Very pleased with the results

Attachments

• dsc00087.jpg
    dsc00087.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 123
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.