Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th July 2004, 10:03 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Adire Parthenon any Good?

Has anybody heard this device?

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/Dan/Parthenon/

The info is interesting but i don't know if this is musical?

I have been told about it's high output but when was this a mark of sound quality?, this looks very expensive and big!

I am thinking more along the lines of an NXT panel that would cost 10 times less.

Is this something people would buy or is it a marketing gimmic?
Old 11th July 2004, 04:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Adire Parthenon any Good?

Quote:
Originally posted by Paradise_Ice
Has anybody heard this device?

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/Dan/Parthenon/

The info is interesting but i don't know if this is musical?

I have been told about it's high output but when was this a mark of sound quality?, this looks very expensive and big!

I am thinking more along the lines of an NXT panel that would cost 10 times less.

Is this something people would buy or is it a marketing gimmic?
How could an NXT panel reproduce bass at levels anywhere NEAR those that the Parthenon could produce?

No, high output is not always a mark of sound quality, but looking very expensive and big (it is, in fact, expensive and big) doesn't necessarily dictate poor quality (usually the opposite).

And this IS something people would buy. Who wouldn't buy a subwoofer motor with a 7" stroke?
Old 11th July 2004, 04:58 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I know what you mean, i think this company makes great quality subwoofers, i am interested in talking to anybody who has heard this device with music, not sinewaves or such signals.

The NXT could in the next few generations make the leap from cheap and cheerfull to real sound quality with big output! IMO.

This device is not that expenisive to make, i am only interested in what it sounds like, thats the ticket for me.
Old 11th July 2004, 05:39 PM   #4
cjd is offline cjd  United States
diyAudio Member

While I can't speak to the Parthenon, their other drivers are VERY well respected and considered highly musical. Their 15" Tumult uses the same XBL2 technology on a rather smaller scale and makes for really good results even in small sealed enclosures (though, put it in an IB setup if ya ask me)

I suspect that, used wisely, this motor assembly will be everything you could want it to be (reasonably, anyhow. . .)

I would be very surprised if Adire would put something out there just to be huge and impressive looking, and sound like crap.

C
Old 11th July 2004, 06:43 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cjd
XBL2 technology on a rather smaller scale and makes for really good results even in small sealed enclosures (though, put it in an IB setup if ya ask me)

I would be very surprised if Adire would put something out there just to be huge and impressive looking, and sound like crap.

C
I have heard the subwoofers they make so i know their honest strong sounding units.
I dont believe that they would make anything trashy but this is something on another scale!

I know this unit was in the Las vega hi-fi show, i friend of mines came back with some pictures and a leaflet, i can not buy this unit in the UK, and i would never buy anything with listing to it first, i can not justify that at all.
Has this unit been sold on the mass market or is it more a special item for you guys in the America's.
Old 11th July 2004, 06:49 PM   #6
cowanrg is offline cowanrg  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cowanrg
i think the real question is, "would" you buy it...

sure, you wouldnt buy without listening, but would you also spend $5k for a sub driver? IIRC, thats how much its going for.
Old 11th July 2004, 10:02 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cowanrg
i think the real question is, "would" you buy it...

sure, you wouldnt buy without listening, but would you also spend $5k for a sub driver? IIRC, thats how much its going for.
I have been challenged to make something that can equal its output and its power but at a much lower cost and not a copy.

I am trying to get an idea on how good its sounds, am thinking multi coils and multi magnets with one large flat cone.

It has to be sensitive and sound good also, a paradox maybe.
Old 11th July 2004, 10:45 PM   #8
cowanrg is offline cowanrg  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cowanrg
i havent heard aything definitive about it, but i have heard from some people (cant remember who, or how reliable), that have said its one of the most awesome thigns they've heard. but, anything with MASSIVE output like that could be awe-inspiring no matter how poor its quality may be.
Old 11th July 2004, 10:54 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I've seen it.

Its just a big, "big" motor structure using their XBL2 technology.

From what I understand its more of a show piece. I hear it moves allot of air though.

There is no surround, just a flat board made out of something I can't remember.

When I saw it, there was no music hooked to it, but someone did find a 9volt battery and just using that, it had tremendous travel. There is no doubt in my mind that it would move allot of air.

As far as music? I don't think that was the intention. More of an experiment in how much air can be moved with that magnet/voice coil technology. Impressive never the less
Old 11th July 2004, 11:48 PM   #10
Hans L is offline Hans L  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't call it a marketing gimmic. It looks like a serious piece of engineering, what they've been doing all along, but bigger. Mucho grande

Now the NXT panels, that something else... I listened to a stereo pair (something like 50-60cm with a sub hidden somewhere) at a show a few months ago and I thought there was something wrong with the sound, but I couldn't pinpoint what it was... I don't think they do well compared to conventional driver. Mission did a speaker once, but that wasn't much of a success. I thought they weren't particularly suited for bass response, especially compared to the likes of Adire and other high quality, high excursion woofers?

Hide this!Advertise here!