Series crossover conspiracy.......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Geenius said:
At the moment HumbleHomemadeHifi is utilizing over 8 gigabytes of bandwidth per month. This results in this site being off-line when the maximum bandwidth is exceeded. I am shopping around for extra bandwidth. My provider should put my site back on-line soon. Sorry for any inconvenience.
It's mostly the pictures, I should think, that sucks up the most bandwidth. If you compress most of them to a higher degree, and make the bigger ones in zip format to deter passers-by, you should be able to save a lot of it.

It's not so much the actual size of the site but the amount of times it is viewed (about 400 pagesviews per day until it went off line). I have put the pages through a html-filter to remove access data, maybe I can try making the pictures even smaller.

In the meantime I have re-located some of the pages hoping to spread bandwidth this way. I won't be able to make all the alterations yet because I am also not allowed to upload until the site is back on-line. This will be on the 16th or 17th of july (I just got a reply from my provider). So please don't all view my site on friday! I need the bandwidth myself to be able to update.:)

Geenius said:
It's not so much the actual size of the site but the amount of times it is viewed (about 400 pagesviews per day until it went off line).

Out of curiosity, have you investigated advertising as a way to fund more bandwidth? I'm about to launch a website of my own, and I fear that I may encounter the same bandwidth restrictions eventually. The business model isn't particularly strong, but I was wondering if it might defray the costs of excessive bandwidth usage.

Dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have/had the same problem with my site -- success leading to more traffic than i could afford. What i did was get some inexpensive fixed fee space (@ mac.com) and put all the pictures in my site on it. This dramatically dropped the traffic i have to pay for (i have my own PowerMac G3 server sitting at my ISP, but have a 2 GB/month limit before additional charges start racking up)

dave

Tony, Andy,

I have a hosting account all set up and doing nothing (no sites hosted). My quotas are 30GB of traffic/month (last month I used 350KB) and 1.5GB disk space. If you think your 'over the limit' problems are going to keep occuring, I'd be happy to host a copy of your sites. When your traffic is getting close to your limit, you could just put up a redirect page.

My plan is all paid up for the next 2 years, and I literally have done nothing with it. Let me know if you're interested, and I can set up FTP accounts for you, etc.

Matt
Kansas City, KS, USA

Aegeon said:
Tony, Andy,

I have a hosting account all set up and doing nothing (no sites hosted). My quotas are 30GB of traffic/month (last month I used 350KB) and 1.5GB disk space. If you think your 'over the limit' problems are going to keep occuring, I'd be happy to host a copy of your sites. When your traffic is getting close to your limit, you could just put up a redirect page.

The Linkwitz site is a good model for shared hosting. Large parts of it are "archived" by woodartistry.com.

Dave

Aegeon said:
Tony, Andy,

My plan is all paid up for the next 2 years, and I literally have done nothing with it. Let me know if you're interested, and I can set up FTP accounts for you, etc.

Matt
Kansas City, KS, USA

Thanks for the offer. I have already relocated some of my site hoping to spread the traffic for the time being. If that isn't enough I'll keep your offer in mind.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.