?ITT? dome midrange - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th July 2004, 08:25 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question ?ITT? dome midrange

I was looking in the window of a local electronics repair shop on the weekend and noticed a whole bunch of solid looking dome midranges. I'd say the size would be more than 2 inches (they show about 2 and a half) and they have a bit of horn loading (about one inch).
I tried trolling the web, but could not find a picture that looked anything like these (sorry, I don't have a digital camera), but they have a square front plate (about 5") with rounded corners and a dedicated rear chamber.
So, I went in and had a look and the only marks on them are:
ITT (in quite large letters)
27 44

None of these helped me in any way. but the speakers were fairly solid - which seems to indicate a fair sized magnet. The only reason I'm hanging off grabbing them is their price of $40AUS - which could be steep (and I don't get paid until next Thursday).
The owner knows no more about them than I do, except that they came from a bankrupt business which he managed to get some 'mint' 70's amplifiers and receivers from, which were still in their original packaging.

Does anyone have any idea what I have stumbled across?
Old 8th July 2004, 08:48 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The owner knows no more about them than I do, except that they came from a bankrupt business which he managed to get some 'mint' 70's amplifiers and receivers from, which were still in their original packaging.
These domes might have been produced during the 70ies as well.
Is the faceplate made out of plastic ?

Regards

Charles
Old 8th July 2004, 09:04 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Doh! I don't actually remember (and I won't be able to get there again until Saturday) - but It could quite easily have been some form of hard plastic.

I'll head back on the weekend to see if I can find anything else about them.
Old 8th July 2004, 06:51 PM   #4
Banned

Go to the Parts Express site and look at the Morel dome mid; the description fits.
Old 9th July 2004, 02:19 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Bill,

Unfortunately my description wasn't the best.

The speaker has the same horn-loading style, but the faceplate around the 'horn' is larger and not smooth. Also, the rear, while about the same depth, is not nearly as smooth as the Morels. Come to think of it, it looked like it had room for screw paths on the back (ie. so the rear chamber could be removed). I'll have to look at them again.

I've had word that these may be pictured in one of Martin Colloms books "High Performance Speakers", so I'm going to check it out in the library after work...
Old 10th July 2004, 05:46 PM   #6
michelf is offline michelf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Cloth Ears,
here's some picture from the ITT Midrange.
I bought mine in 1979 (about 35$ CAN ).
Those midrange has been used in B & O loudspeaker and maybe in some 3 way Revox Studio Monitor (I'm not totally sure)
Even today they sound fine.
I don't have the spec anymore.
But they should cover from 2Khz to 5Khz.
Old 10th July 2004, 06:17 PM   #7
markp is offline markp  United States
diyAudio Member

They might be a Phillips unit from the look of the part number. If I still have my ancient Phillips book I'll look them up for you.
Old 12th July 2004, 12:21 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

OK. I checked out the speakers and Martin Colloms book and they're definitely the same speaker. A 50mm fabric dome "double suspension" midrange (courtesy "SEL/ITT"). From the back of other ITT cone midranges and tweeters in the same shop (there's quite a few of them), they were manufactured in West Germany - and they have only the "ITT" on the back with no mention of SEL. They are a closed chamber design (I'd guess about .4-.6litre), but the chamber is held on by 4 bolts that you undo through the faceplate.

Michelf, do you know the designation of the speakers that you have? And I could not see the picture that you posted - any chance of posting it again?

Christopher - thanks, you picked it in one (being the driver in Colloms book - page 188 in the 4th edition).

Does anyone know where old spec sheets go to when they die?
Old 12th July 2004, 04:32 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Here's the picture again, hoping they get trough this time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg itt_mid.jpg (74.6 KB, 448 views)
Old 15th July 2004, 02:35 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Check this link
http://www.caninialtoparlanti.it/images/mid-ITT.jpg

This ITT Midrange was the replacement of the ITT midrange pictures that I posted.
The parameters may not be the same but they probably close.

Hide this!Advertise here!