Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th July 2004, 07:08 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Infinite Baffle. Best bet if possible?

I'm having a house built and the upstairs loft will become a theater. Which means I'll have the entire attic above me.

So I'm thinking the best best (and least intrusive) would be to do an infinite baffle system.

I'm thinking 4 Dayton IB 15" and a 250W plate amp should be plenty....this would be for a 15'x20' or so entertainment room.

WinISD shows these should hit about a 24Hz F3 with 100+CuFt of air behind them, which the attic should do no problem.

So is infinite baffle the best way to get effortless bass? It would definently have non parrallel walls in the enclosure . I'd probably do (at least) a 24dB low pass at 80Hz or so.

heres the room so far

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 7th July 2004, 09:03 AM   #2
Beggar is offline Beggar  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi

Well im no expert but it definately seems like plan to me
Also because of the such low qts it may be a good candidate for linkwitz transform (or equivilent)

One thing that does spring to mind however is the air leakage between the 2 rooms, because the enclosure is so damn big im reasonably sure the effect will be reduced considerably, but maybe someone who actually knows something should comment on this?

Quote:
I'm having a house built and the upstairs loft will become a theater
Mmmm custom house, customised for audio! I think u are living everyone on this forums dream

Cheers, Nik
Old 7th July 2004, 11:03 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Ask here.

http://f20.parsimony.net/forum36475/
Old 7th July 2004, 12:32 PM   #4
qi is offline qi
diyAudio Member

This is a perfect candidate for an Archectural Horn (15HZ to 80HZ).

Example:

It could be tucked into the right corner -- two of its sides being the roof corner. It downfiring mouth could be 3' x 10'. Its length would be 18'. IMO you would have the HOLY GRAIL of subwoofers and everyone on this forum would hate you
Old 7th July 2004, 01:45 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I had a infinite baffle system in my floor, so i dont know if this helps, but your subwoofers will cause problems with your plaster board, i believe it can damaged the plaster on your ceiling as the infinite baffle transfers alot of energy into the baffle,IMO, i would enclose the drivers, the rear of your drivers will get filthy and all that dust can get into the magnetic gap, if your drivers have vented pole yokes, you could add a small mess with a cotton fabric across its.
You could do much better than a infinite baffle system, not that its bad or anything, but you have so much space and access to do something really special,Good luck.
Old 7th July 2004, 02:15 PM   #6
bogoes is offline bogoes  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to bogoes
Yup, looks like a plan to me. My only caveat would be instead of putting a long shallow manifold on the side there, instead put a 24" (or whatever the spacing between those rafters is) cube there instead. You will be able to tie it into 3 rafters including the double thickness one. Having the drivers mounted across from each other will reduce vibrations transmitted into the rafters, but looking at that general area, I don't think it will be a big problem. I will agree with Paradise about putting some type of light cloth covering over the structure to keep out the dust. Damage to your drywall should not be an issue, I would recommend making you or the builder secures the drywall with both construction adhesive and screws NOT NAILS to secure the drywall to the studs and rafters, especially in that room. Other than that, remember to go ahead and run a couple lengths of good quality speaker wire through the walls from the sub location to wherever you plan to put the electronics - amps do not go in the attic.

Oh, and the Cult Forum linked in an above response is a wonderful reference, ThomasW would be happy to answer just about any questions you have.

Enjoy.
Old 7th July 2004, 02:22 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Fourdoor,

You have a great opportunity to have the finest quality bass available.

HERE'S a link to the IB installation photo gallery. You'll see dozens of ceiling mounted designs. They work very well.

Drop by the 'Cult' forum if you want to discuss your ideas with people that have years of experience with this particular type of sub.

Regards
ThomasW
Old 7th July 2004, 04:13 PM   #8
Lusso5 is offline Lusso5  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Infinite Baffle. Best bet if possible?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hybrid fourdoor
I'm having a house built and the upstairs loft will become a theater. Which means I'll have the entire attic above me.

So I'm thinking the best best (and least intrusive) would be to do an infinite baffle system.

I'm thinking 4 Dayton IB 15" and a 250W plate amp should be plenty....this would be for a 15'x20' or so entertainment room.

WinISD shows these should hit about a 24Hz F3 with 100+CuFt of air behind them, which the attic should do no problem.

So is infinite baffle the best way to get effortless bass? It would definently have non parrallel walls in the enclosure . I'd probably do (at least) a 24dB low pass at 80Hz or so.

heres the room so far
Very nice Hybrid. Nothing like getting to wire/build from the construction phase. I suppose, you will have a nice workspace (garage) now too?

Have you considered doing in-walls for all your channels of the home theater? It seems your front L/R mains are decently centered between the studs. A Morel MW166 (0.61 QTS)/MDT20 TMM/MTM would do nicely.
Old 7th July 2004, 05:27 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
WinISD shows.....
WinISD doesn't accurately model the performance of a true IB.
Quote:
I'm thinking 4 Dayton IB 15" and a 250W plate amp should be plenty
Might want to look at a slightly bigger amp. You'll basically have a world class sub, let's give it some decent power. 500 watts or so would be nice. Also plan on adding a Behringer DSP1124P to flatten any peaks
Quote:
So is infinite baffle the best way to get effortless bass?
Those that have replaced their box subs with IB's certainly think so...
Quote:
It would definently have non parrallel walls in the enclosure
Nope not necessary. You can make a perfect cube if you want. No problems with standing waves given the very short dimensions of the 'box'.
Old 7th July 2004, 06:26 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
ThomasW,
Looking through the pics, none of the 2 driver setups are push pull alignments. Is there something about IB making push/pull not beneficial for distortion reduction?

Hybrid,
4 of those 15" Dayton OB's aligned in pairs (like the pics ThomasW linked in) to reduce vibration should work great, but I'd go the extra step of push/pull alignment to get the distortion reduction. I also understand that mounting them in pairs as pic'd reduces the effective Fs. I'd mount them in the rafters over the screen. However you choose to implement it you'll end up with an impressive sub.

Hide this!Advertise here!