Who gets sawdust on the carpet? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th July 2004, 07:32 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Who gets sawdust on the carpet?

Well as an apartment dweller, I am severly guilty of this. Luckily I have a back room near the the back door that I can go in and out of easily. I use some stuff (like scroll saw and the hole saws) outside, because of the excessive saw dust and the loud noise....

The wife is fairly understandable.

Good vacuums and extra bags need apply

In the back room

Click the image to open in full size.

In the kitchen

Old 6th July 2004, 08:36 PM   #2
Lusso5 is offline Lusso5  United States
diyAudio Member

Hard core DIY, I love it ! Nice work too. I own a garden home, so I dont have a garage, but have a second story deck that makes for a nice covered porch to work under. Clean-up is just a sweep, but as I live in a resort-type area, where there are alot of retirees, it tends to **** them off when I'm running the saw as the sun as going down .

WA is not a Factor - yet.

Here is one indoor project that will make you laugh:
Monte's bookshelf made in a Taiwan hotel room.

Who eats the Eukanuba?
Old 6th July 2004, 09:47 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

They joys of condo life.....

More here:
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/2132/1259.html
Old 6th July 2004, 11:14 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lusso5
Here is one indoor project that will make you laugh:
Monte's bookshelf made in a Taiwan hotel room.
I've actually seen that site before, and I luaghed because it reminded me of myself

Quote:
Who eats the Eukanuba?

I don't love her that much....she gets Iams. I say why drive a Lexus, when you can get a Toyota and enjoy the 85% of the same thing

Old 7th July 2004, 01:32 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Boy those pics remind me of my apartment living too! My last rental place before I finally bought a real house had the living room set up as an electronics lab and a school bus outside was my machine shop. I am now extremely fortunate to have a 3500 sq.ft. commercial workshop building on my property next to my house. Even so, my house still looks like a shop. My kitchen table is an audio workbench more often than a kitchen table.

Sanford1, is that Bill Wysock's Tesla coil in your avatar? I've built a few big 'uns myself. Shut down my Hi Voltage Lab a few years ago because I survived from electrocuting myself long enough and didn't want to push it. I took up DIY audio instead.

Those speakers look good!

FYI, here's one of my coils in action. It isn't completely off topic. It isn't a speaker, but dang it certainly was loud.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0001.jpg (14.6 KB, 146 views)
On April 01,2012, my radioastronomy Project TARGET SETI search succeeded. The signal came via extradimensional subspace, not radio waves. I now get a lot of 'visitors'. I took my avatar pic of one friend watching me in my work yard from just 20 ft. away.
Old 7th July 2004, 11:24 AM   #6
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Default Who gets sawdust on the carpet?

What, carpet??? I got it on my bed
Old 7th July 2004, 01:12 PM   #7
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

My SOH said either the DIY hi-fi had to go or she would.

This is a picture of her 'new' bedroom.

Old 7th July 2004, 02:06 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

As someone who makes his living making messes in other people's homes, let me pass this on.

The heavy-duty dropcloths found in home centers are a wise investment whatever the price, and the 8' x 12' is easy to launder.
Old 9th July 2004, 01:44 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

To reply with RCAvictim;

Notice the person at the bottom of the coil.

As far as the speaker go, they do what I want and now my limits are what's driving them. A lot of folks don't think that the planars will integrate with the woofers without building dipole woofers or another line source but they fail to consider the wavelengths involved at a 200Hz crossover. Everything is getting pretty much omni directional at around that xover frequency so it's better than most Stereophile readers think.
Old 9th July 2004, 02:00 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sanford1
[B]To reply with RCAvictim;

"Notice the person at the bottom of the coil."

I saw that. Yes this is a 'big' magnifier of quite some reputation in coiling circles. Didn't know you were also into audio.

"As far as the speaker go, they do what I want and now my limits are what's driving them. A lot of folks don't think that the planars will integrate with the woofers without building dipole woofers or another line source but they fail to consider the wavelengths involved at a 200Hz crossover. "

I'm relying on the 200Hz 'fact' right now in my latest speaker creation. Hope to have first sound testing within a week or so.

" Everything is getting pretty much omni directional at around that xover frequency so it's better than most Stereophile readers think . "

With respect to those to whom this observation does NOT apply..."Scientific American readers think.
On April 01,2012, my radioastronomy Project TARGET SETI search succeeded. The signal came via extradimensional subspace, not radio waves. I now get a lot of 'visitors'. I took my avatar pic of one friend watching me in my work yard from just 20 ft. away.

Hide this!Advertise here!