Who gets sawdust on the carpet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well as an apartment dweller, I am severly guilty of this. Luckily I have a back room near the the back door that I can go in and out of easily. I use some stuff (like scroll saw and the hole saws) outside, because of the excessive saw dust and the loud noise....

The wife is fairly understandable.

Good vacuums and extra bags need apply

In the back room

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

In the kitchen

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hard core DIY, I love it ! Nice work too. I own a garden home, so I dont have a garage, but have a second story deck that makes for a nice covered porch to work under. Clean-up is just a sweep, but as I live in a resort-type area, where there are alot of retirees, it tends to **** them off when I'm running the saw as the sun as going down :D .

WA is not a Factor - yet.

Here is one indoor project that will make you laugh:
Monte's bookshelf made in a Taiwan hotel room.

Who eats the Eukanuba?

Boy those pics remind me of my apartment living too! My last rental place before I finally bought a real house had the living room set up as an electronics lab and a school bus outside was my machine shop. I am now extremely fortunate to have a 3500 sq.ft. commercial workshop building on my property next to my house. Even so, my house still looks like a shop. My kitchen table is an audio workbench more often than a kitchen table. :eek:

Sanford1, is that Bill Wysock's Tesla coil in your avatar? I've built a few big 'uns myself. Shut down my Hi Voltage Lab a few years ago because I survived from electrocuting myself long enough and didn't want to push it. I took up DIY audio instead. :D

Those speakers look good!

FYI, here's one of my coils in action. It isn't completely off topic. It isn't a speaker, but dang it certainly was loud. ;)

Attachments

• 0001.jpg
    0001.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 174
To reply with RCAvictim;

Notice the person at the bottom of the coil.

As far as the speaker go, they do what I want and now my limits are what's driving them. A lot of folks don't think that the planars will integrate with the woofers without building dipole woofers or another line source but they fail to consider the wavelengths involved at a 200Hz crossover. Everything is getting pretty much omni directional at around that xover frequency so it's better than most Stereophile readers think.

sanford1 said:
To reply with RCAvictim;

"Notice the person at the bottom of the coil."

I saw that. Yes this is a 'big' magnifier of quite some reputation in coiling circles. Didn't know you were also into audio. ;)

"As far as the speaker go, they do what I want and now my limits are what's driving them. A lot of folks don't think that the planars will integrate with the woofers without building dipole woofers or another line source but they fail to consider the wavelengths involved at a 200Hz crossover. "

I'm relying on the 200Hz 'fact' right now in my latest speaker creation. Hope to have first sound testing within a week or so.

" Everything is getting pretty much omni directional at around that xover frequency so it's better than most Stereophile readers think . "

With respect to those to whom this observation does NOT apply..."Scientific American readers think. ;)

The true DIY er is stopped by nothing.

I have a garden but what to do when it is:
A. bad wheather
B. dark outside
C. You have no music in the attic (where you could also execute a DIY project)

keuken_small.jpg

Besides that, the supply right below also comes in handy

It might be obvious that WAF was not an issue at the time

I get drill tailings, lathe tailings, grinding residue, wood shavings and paticles of all sorts, solder on the walls from shaking off the tip, etc., etc. on the carpet. What is really cool is when you bake Krylon enamel paint in the oven. My cats don't seem to mind too much, but clearly there is no wife around!

Re: in fact, a picture

most likely the file size is too big, or the picture is physically too big.

Jim Mullally said:
this is in my spare bedroom. Note the cutting fluid track up the wall behind where the lathe used to sit. This is my first picture posting, so I hope it works right. Cannot get the picture to post. Keep geting message saying "not a valid gif, jpg, etc.... any ideas?

Heh, the first time I used an electric plane was to take about half an inch off the edge of two doors.
We had a narrow added-on room out the back, but open to the rest of the house.
Anyway, half and hour later there was a thick layer of brown dust all over the floor in the back room, and a thin layer all over most of the rest of the house.
Oops. :smash:

Needless to say, when my GF got home there were words. :whazzat:

2 years later, the tenants after us were still trying to clean it out of the venetian blinds..... :D

Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.