how do i achieve this kind of bass..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
the other day i went to visit paren'ts house.. during my time i was checking an old crappy set of 2.1 speakers .. when i flipped over the subwoofer and put a cd to cover a 4" subwoofer and put something heavy on top of the cd...

the bass off the sub now was very very deep.. how do i achieve this using electrical components .. is this what overdamping is?

I assume you closed the bass port ? This will have changed the bass response. This gives more low end bass in trade off with bass a little higher in frequency(from the port).

You wont be able to do that electronicly with that same subwoofer.

Whats better is different in many situations

No I think he's saying he put something on the driver itself. I would think that this kept it from playing higher frequencies (like a sharper crossover), since the cone couldn't move as fast since the effective mass was different. Thus you only heard lower frequencies, making you infer it as more bass.

Just a guess though :confused:

I believe poeple do this actually to lower the Fs or something of drivers, but as the expense of upper extension, and sensitivty (since the cone is heavier its harder to move).

Added mass to the cone will make your bass deeper due to lower FS it will somewhat make sensitivity go up in the extension area. It will not effect high frequency extension whatsoever. It is inductance that effects high frequency extension. If you want to cut out more highs then add an inductor in series with your speaker. If you really want deep bass get something bigger than a 4" speaker!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.