Does anyone know what a Tannoy Stratford speakers are like???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Someone offered me a pair of Tannoy Stratford speaker and i have never really heard of it before. So common sense tells me to google it for info. But no matter how deep i dig into the search. There seems to be nothing about this model, is this person trying to rip me of. He claims it is about 15 years old and is a classic of it's time. I like the sound of it as i have only recently taking an interest in vintage gears, so my knowledge is still very little.

I have herad of Oxford, Lancaster and many others but have never come across this Stratford one before.

If any1 knows of a website for info and have experienced using one, i like to hear from you before i make my final decision. Also, speakers being relatively old, will that reduce it's performance. I know most Tannoy speakers are built to last as they are quality speakers but some do wear over time.

Please reply very soon, as i do not have a lot of time to think about this and many thanks and kindness for helping and reading this post.

Again, thank you

Thanks for that info, i guess i didn't dig deeper before.

Anyway, the info at http://www.hilberink.nl/codehans/tannoy77.htm compare this Stratford with the Oxford model as being equally great, except that the Oxford had a better bass response since it had a slightly bigger driver (2 inches wider).

Does anyone know how i may improve the bass on the Stratford model as i do like a lot of good bass.

Someone that told me that sticking a few layers of vinyl flooring around the speakers cabinet helps and it does work but i don't want to do this again as i want to keep the cabinet as it is. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the reply.

Netlist said:
Hmmm...if you like deep bass I wouldn't go for the tannoys.
OTOH, if you like clarity, details and nice mid they could be a good match with a sub.

/Hugo :)

I do agree as i do already own a pair of Tannoy speakers (Eclispe) and the do have a clarity sound but the bass is a little weak. I tend to have to turn up the bass on my amp. I guess this is because the cabinet it is housed in, is very light. However these Stratford models have a heavier wooden cabinet, so i was told.

Another thing is that, even though i do enjoy a lot of deep bass, i still want clarity and detail sound and also being able to control the bass sound whenever i feel the need. Unlike some Technics speakers which has good bass but it just becomes too boomy sometimes.

Which speakers have you got in mind that will bring a balance in the quality of sound yet offers a nice bass too???

Thanks for your comment.

The Tannoy Straftfords will be a little raucous compared to
the Eclipse, they will go quite a bit louder and manage
probably a bit more bass volume but not really extension.

Good bass well matched to the room is always difficult to
achieve. My standmounters have the port detuned and
a low bass boost built into my amplifiers line stage, which
I adjusted to suit speaker postioning and the room.

Good low bass in speakers is expensive.

The effectiveness of vinyl floor tiles depends on the cabinet.

:) sreten.

Hi sreten,

Good to hear from you again, if you still remember me from th other post and that you had been very kind in advising me on certain speakers to buy.

Thank for your reply once again.

Anyway, you said 'The Tannoy Straftfords will be a little raucous...',???

I don't really understand stand what you mean? But anyhow, maybe i should just the Tannoy Stratford model altogether and save my cash for a pair of Rogers LS2 or a good sub woofer speakers to pair it up with my Tannoy Eclispe speakers.

I think, i sub woofer sounds like a better choice!

:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.