"The Puget Sound" Speaker Contest

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not sure when you arrived during the last contest, the fella that won arrived later in the day, IIRC. I know that several of the contestants had their speakers playing earlier in the day and Dr. Ed West had his DSP crossover demo going most of the day. However we will work to ensure that at least some of the entries are available for listening at all times, that's the fun part as far as I'm concerned and I didn't get to listen to many of them either!

Best Regards,
TerryO

Al,
There isn't any set order as to which catagory will be judged first, second, etc. We're not sure as to how many entries will be in any given catagory, the sole requirement is that all must be judged as a group. I will try to see that your group is judged as early as possible, domestic tranquility is a notable goal in and of itself:^)
If you can, just email me and let me know which catagory your entry will be in and I'll put your request at the top.
Hope to see you there,
TerryO

What, no pics?

One of my favorites was Aaron's 'power pots'.

Front view - that's a premade round from Home Depot (or Lowes).

Attachments

• power_pot_front.jpg
    power_pot_front.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 159
The "Power Pots" are pretty unusual, and sound great as well. Aaron has reworked these several times and each time they got even better. I believe that his original design criteria was that all componets had to be what he already had on hand.
He placed 2nd in the under $200 2-way class, just trailing Dave Rosgaard in points.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Thanks for the coments.

tg3,

I'm glad to see somebody else liked my Power Pots! TerryO is right, the original design criteria was to build them only using parts I had on hand - no trips to the hardware store permitted. After I made a trip to Al Wooley's event in Surrey, B.C. using the initial design (I won the Dayton woofers at Al's event the previous year), I felt I had fulfilled my obligation and was free to upgrade them. :) I then changed to a different tweeter, relocated the port to the back, made a new front baffle, and added some damping material. Technically, I actually had the tweeter on hand for a different project and had never used it, so really I still only had to buy the baffle, port, and damping.

The resulting sound of the Power Pot Phase II was what convinced me to upgrade my Emerald Towers from their original tweeter (MCM 53-525, same as the Bang!), to the ApexJr dome tweeter. Anyhoo...

Glad to see I came in second with the Power Pots at the contest, although that's a bit surprising to me. That would mean I was ahead of the Dayton Euro two way (with 8" passive radiator), which I thought came in just under $200. If that Euro/PR was over $200, that means my Emerald Towers beat it, and if so, that would be a close call I say.

Looking forward to seeing some of the point standings/results from all the classes. As usual, no rush.

For photos of the original [ugly] Power Pots design, check out my web site below. You'll find pictures of the Emerald Towers (winners in the 2-way over $200 category), though alas they have not been updated because I'm a slacker on my own web site. I'll get on that when the weather turns sour and I'm stuck inside. :)

http://www.aaroncgilbert.com/hometheater.html

Aaron Gilbert

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.