PC Speaker System - I need advice :-) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd July 2004, 08:15 PM   #1
airJX is offline airJX  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default PC Speaker System - I need advice :-)

Hello all.

I now have some crap speakers for my pc and really want something better. I've been searching the internet for a few days now and I would like some expert opinions.

The place where my pc is placed allows either a 2.0 or 2.1 system. Also (being a student) I would really like to keep it under $120, so no B&Ws for me.

So far I found four 2.1 systems that seem to fit my needs:
Altec Lansing 2100
Hercules XPS 2.100 Silver
Phlilps A3.310
harman/kardon HK 695 Champagne SE (The harman/kardon doesn't seem to have them on their own site anymore...)

I'll be using them for both playing music and gaming, so I need some all-round speakers that sound good when playing at both low and high volume. (As I'll be using them at night as well and I wish to remain friends with the neighbours. )

What do you think?
Old 4th July 2004, 02:45 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

can't you just use some old stereo amplifier with simple diy speakers?
Old 4th July 2004, 03:15 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
Those micro speakers, at least those in those models of Altec and Hercules have very little output. If you can find the older model Altec with the square speakers, it sounds much much better.
Old 4th July 2004, 04:38 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to bhg41088 Send a message via MSN to bhg41088 Send a message via Yahoo to bhg41088
http://www.alteclansing.com/product_...X5021&redir=NO

Ive heard these and they sound very nice, check ebay for a better price.
Old 5th July 2004, 08:16 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yeah I agree because by chance I listened to what bhg41088 says and these Altec Lansing are sounding great! They have some sort of effort rare in the pc speakers. But 200$ is quite a bit higher than 120$
Old 5th July 2004, 08:45 AM   #6
zobsky is offline zobsky  India
diyAudio Member

if, in your country, you can find some altec lansing ATP3 or even better, .. the discontinued monsoon planar pm 14 (my current set up) ... either should rock your world for less than $50 to $80
Old 5th July 2004, 09:05 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I really like the logitech Z-280/580/680's.. The 2.1 version from the z-680's family is this: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...CONTENTID=7170

They appear to be tang band drivers. I've heard them several times, and think they sound great for computer speakers.

I'm going to upgrade to the z-680's after I finish up some other projects (I bought the z-640's because they were ~$60 and I needed 5.1 speakers for gaming -- they do surprisingly well, considering their price/size)

Don't let their list price throw you off -- you can find them for around $120ish on the web, including shipping.
Old 11th August 2005, 03:08 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to N-Channel
Default Altec-Lansing ACS340/ACS-295 Questions

I have come across a pair of ACS-340 Subwoofers and a pair of ACS-295 Satellite speakers. The Woofers have an 8-pin mini-DIN input receptacles and the Satellites have 7-pin mini-DIN plugs. Anyone have a schematic for either the ACS-295 or the ACS-340 systems?

I would like to "marry" the 295's satellites to BOTH '340 subs for a TRUE stereo subwoofer setup. In my humble opinion, bass is not as non-directional as some would have us audiophiles and DIYers believe.

FYI, the ACS-340's specs are as follows:

Satellites: 13W for both channels (I assume this is 6.5W/Ch)
Mono Sub: 27W total (Probably 13W x 2 channels.

I do not have specs for the '295 satellites.

I have to assume that even these systems have rudimentary active crossovers, and if they do, then I maybe I can take advantage of "retro-fitting" them for some reasonably good performance.

I have tried to contact Altec, but they do NOT release schematics.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and '73,

Steve
Old 12th August 2005, 06:24 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

The swan M200's are close (I think they run around $169 on the street). Nice 2-way design, I believe they're biamped, and they look nice to boot.

http://www.swanspeaker.com/product/htm/view.asp?id=3

Hide this!Advertise here!