PC Speaker System - I need advice :-)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all.

I now have some crap speakers for my pc and really want something better. I've been searching the internet for a few days now and I would like some expert opinions. :D

The place where my pc is placed allows either a 2.0 or 2.1 system. Also (being a student) I would really like to keep it under $120, so no B&Ws for me. :)

So far I found four 2.1 systems that seem to fit my needs:
Altec Lansing 2100
Hercules XPS 2.100 Silver
Phlilps A3.310
harman/kardon HK 695 Champagne SE (The harman/kardon doesn't seem to have them on their own site anymore...)

I'll be using them for both playing music and gaming, so I need some all-round speakers that sound good when playing at both low and high volume. (As I'll be using them at night as well and I wish to remain friends with the neighbours. :clown: )

What do you think?

I really like the logitech Z-280/580/680's.. The 2.1 version from the z-680's family is this: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2,CONTENTID=7170

They appear to be tang band drivers. I've heard them several times, and think they sound great for computer speakers.

I'm going to upgrade to the z-680's after I finish up some other projects (I bought the z-640's because they were ~$60 and I needed 5.1 speakers for gaming -- they do surprisingly well, considering their price/size)

Don't let their list price throw you off -- you can find them for around $120ish on the web, including shipping.

Altec-Lansing ACS340/ACS-295 Questions

I have come across a pair of ACS-340 Subwoofers and a pair of ACS-295 Satellite speakers. The Woofers have an 8-pin mini-DIN input receptacles and the Satellites have 7-pin mini-DIN plugs. Anyone have a schematic for either the ACS-295 or the ACS-340 systems?

I would like to "marry" the 295's satellites to BOTH '340 subs for a TRUE stereo subwoofer setup. In my humble opinion, bass is not as non-directional as some would have us audiophiles and DIYers believe.

FYI, the ACS-340's specs are as follows:

Satellites: 13W for both channels (I assume this is 6.5W/Ch)
Mono Sub: 27W total (Probably 13W x 2 channels.

I do not have specs for the '295 satellites.

I have to assume that even these systems have rudimentary active crossovers, and if they do, then I maybe I can take advantage of "retro-fitting" them for some reasonably good performance.

I have tried to contact Altec, but they do NOT release schematics.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and '73,

Steve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.