First speaker project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been studying up, reading as much as possible. Thought that I was going to build a three-way for my first project.....uh-uh. Pretty much decided on a two way, MTM setup. Planned on using a vifa D27TG-35-06 and two peerless 850122. want to use the peerless mid woofs mainly for their low extension. I would like some feedback as to the midrange detail capabilities of these mids. Seems that since they are spec'd with such a low FS that there must be a tradeoff in detail somewhere. I won't even get into the crossover talk yet. just like to know what the prevailing opinion is on this driver combo. I plan on making the drivers all time coherent by setting the tweeter back the appropriate amount......as soon as I figure out how to accurately figure out the offset for it!

So I did a little modeling with WinISD and with 2 drivers with the 850122's (CSX 176) it said you should be able to get down to mid 30's, vented, but the box should be 68.4L (2.416ft^3, 4174.03in^3). That makes a 10"x16"x26" box with one golden type ratio system. If that box is too large for you, you could go with the Peerless 850439 (HDS 182). It would only get down to mid 50's, but the box would be smaller box (7"x11.25"x18.25"). Dr. Linkwitz recommends the Peerless 850439 woofer as a great value after the outcome of his intermodulation distortion test that he has on his website. The 122's FR graph shows a climbing trend toward the top, and maybe you were interested in that to match it with the tweeter, but the 439 is much more flat and might be easier to integrate. The 122 is cheaper, and only has slightly more high frequency beaming. A look at the FR graphs of the Peerless's suggests an xo around 2kHz, depending on what you use for a xo design. I personally would go for the flatter response of the HDS, they are $15 more a cone on parts express. Just trying to get you a little advice on this board and maybe someone will correct me if I'm wrong and get you moving in the right direction.

Peerless850122

Yeah, thats around the size I came up with, also. I have been considering the HDS series, mainly for the detail that I asume would be present that is not with the CSX's. Figure if I used a sub set-up with them then it wouldn't really matter about the LF difference in the mids. Don't really want to try for low extension with mids, anyway, right?

Here is a link to Linkwitz's article on distortion levels of a couple common woofer and tweeters. The tests are when he was trying to decide on what cones to use on his Phoenix speaker. I am currently helping a friend of mine build a pair of speakers, and he is going to use the Peerless 850439 for the bass cone. It seems like a great deal for a cone.

Linkwitz Lab article on distortion testing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.