AudioTechnology or ATC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hiendaudio said:
This is the cuestion!!!!! ATC 3" dome midrange or AudioTechnology 4"Flex unit??????.........for midrange in 3way system. The tweeter is a ScanSpeak 9500, woofer ATC, Dynanudio....

I like the ATC, thats because i have them! so dont believe me,

Have you a link for the Audio Technology 4 flex unit,
i have never seen it or heard it more importantly!
I will be objective i promise!

:angel:

Hi:

The better is that you can order a custon driver, in flex series, and the minimun order is just two speakers!!!!!!!

The price of the most cheap speaker is about 250 dollars!!!!!!.

Say, like ATC, Volt and company........

Iam in search for the best midrange unit, regardless it price!!!!

Just two remarks: The latest Sonus Faber is using one.

Charles is also using Audiotechnology (although an 8" woofer model) and he is content with them ! They are used together with Manger drivers.
The predecessors used Dynaudio 20W75 and there was a significant improvement soundwise with the Audiotechnology drivers. Most astonishingly also in the midrange, despite the low crossover frequency !

Regards

Charles

hiendaudio said:
Hi:

The better is that you can order a custon driver, in flex series, and the minimun order is just two speakers!!!!!!!

The price of the most cheap speaker is about 250 dollars!!!!!!.

Say, like ATC, Volt and company........

Iam in search for the best midrange unit, regardless it price!!!!

I like the Flex drive units, i would probably buy them if i was you!

phase_accurate said:
Just two remarks: The latest Sonus Faber is using one.

Charles is also using Audiotechnology (although an 8" woofer model) and he is content with them ! They are used together with Manger drivers.
The predecessors used Dynaudio 20W75 and there was a significant improvement soundwise with the Audiotechnology drivers. Most astonishingly also in the midrange, despite the low crossover frequency !

Regards

Charles
I cant believe so many of you guys like the Manger Drivers!
I am so happy am not alone, i have come up against people that hate them!

hiendaudio said:
This is the cuestion!!!!! ATC 3" dome midrange or AudioTechnology 4"Flex unit??????.........for midrange in 3way system. The tweeter is a ScanSpeak 9500, woofer ATC, Dynanudio....

If your looking for the best of the best midrange then your doing yourself an injustice using the SS9500 tweet. Although very good its not up to the standards of the best midranges. Get the 97 at the least or the millenium, or a ribbon etc.

oranges to tangerines

hello,

I think it's a bit difficult to compare the two drivers without regard to application. They both are supposed to be ABSOLUTE state-of-the-art, (ie: Accuton, etc.), but one is a DOME and one is a CONE! Meaning the ATC cannot physically go as low as the Audiotechnology. The ATC is supposed to have no peers when it comes to reproduction IN ITS BANDWIDTH. Likewise, the Audiotechnology is supposed to be top-class, but probably not as good as the ATC in the upper ranges. Nonetheless, many applications would prohibit using the ATC, as it can't be crossed too low.

I would suggest reading this well-documented project by a very respected DIY speaker designer. And his thoughts on the ATC dome.

Read about Project 10 (his latest, and possibly last speaker)

http://www.kingston.neostrada.pl/

cheers,

-tal

hiendaudio said:
Hi:

-Maybe, but ATC use comon Vifa and Seas tw and the sound is THE SOUND!!!!!!!....I like very much the ATC sound.....
Yes your right! hiendaudio
ATC use common Vifa tweeters and there not good at all!
I think Bill Woodman, the ATC boss does not want to take the attention away from the Super dome they make,
I e-mailed ATC and told them this in plain English, Change it please!
i had to change the Vifa on my ATC, SCM 50 they were so blunt!

I got the Scan Speak Revelator and had the large face plate spun on a lathe and cut to the same size as the Vifa unit,
The heavens opened up for me when i did this! amazing detail.

The Manger has a sound quality that is very dynamic and pure and the Flex units seem to be designed with equal passion, so i cant choose!

I've looked closely at the atc built speakers and some PMC's with a dome mid lately. I've observed that the mid-range domes offer superior mid-tweeter physical time alignment when mounted in a flat baffle. Especially when used with a slighlty recessed dome tweeter. Worth bearing in mind if you are thinking of substituting an ATC tweeter with a "better" model.

PMC loudspeakers used to use the ATC dome midrange, but stopped due to inconsistencies between batches and unreliability. They ended up re-designing the ATC, with modified flare profile, to get a good, reliable, reproducible drive-unit. The replacement is manufactured by PMC themselves.
Never having owned PMC or ATC I don't know which is better, but I thought someone might find the above interesting...

badgerboy said:
PMC loudspeakers used to use the ATC dome midrange, but stopped due to inconsistencies between batches and unreliability. They ended up re-designing the ATC, with modified flare profile, to get a good, reliable, reproducible drive-unit. The replacement is manufactured by PMC themselves.

I thought someone might find the above interesting...

I like PCM, they make very good enclosures and thats what they do best, they have come on leaps and bounds but i dont believe the ATC has inconsistencies between batches, They have been making speakers for such a long time, its hard to believe the would be guilty of such a basic problem, IMO, did you hear this from somebody at PCM?
I think PCM made there own Mid dome unit to save money because the ATC unit is expensive.

I think PCM made there own Mid dome unit to save money because the ATC unit is expensive

i think you are right.

i have a pair of the ATC scm100sl passive.....(original)
and i know that the vifa tweeter is soso, but it's the atc xover that makes this speaker sounds so incredible coherent - especially between bass and mid but the mid high is also very capable......if you change to a different tweeter, the xover has to be reworked......i wouldn't do it.

hiendaudio said:

Hi,

The best midrange that I hear (personal opinion) is from the H15 with the SD system or even with 4H and the Kapton voice coil! Yes, the Kapton is better sound but cannot work in 2 way system.

The H18 with the Kapton voice coil is very great also for the midrange application.

The Sonus Faber Guarneri use with Custom 4H woofer and the Stradivari use with the 15H woofer.

Good luck

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.