Fountek JP3.0 vs. AC G2si?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Has anyone compared these two ribbon tweeters directly? I searched the archives, and there's a fair amount of information on the G2si, not so much on the JP3.0 (most people who've used Fountek seem to have used the JP2.0), and I didn't find anything that directly compared the two. They seem very similar (in fact, almost identical), both in specs as well as in price. I might be missing some information, of course, but on paper I don't see much to differentiate between the two. I think I saw some concerns about replacement parts availability and QC, which would become the determining factors if the sonics were close enough.

So, I was wondering if someone has done a head-to-head comparison of these two tweeters? If not, then I guess the G2si would win by default, since there seems to be more positive testimonials available for that tweeter than the JP3.0?

Thanks for looking,

Saurav

Did your budget increase?

LOL!!! So you remembered, that's really cool :) Budget hasn't really increased, but eventually I'll have enough saved up to consider these, so I figured I should start my research.

The price is $79 now, which actually puts it at $2 below the JP3. So are you saying that the G2si is the better choice between the two?

Although I haven't used these specific tweeters, I've been using ribbons since the early 1970's (hint think Mark Levinson's HQD)

My experience is that for longevity and 'best' performance, these smaller ribbon tweeters should be XOed around 5kHz.

So if you're going as low as 3.5kHz consider use 24dB/octave slopes. Although more costly from a raw parts standpoint, it's cheaper in the long run than buying replacement elements.

Oh, and be sure not to clip the amp!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Saurav said:
I've been reading about dispersion problems with ribbon drivers - that's only in the vertical plane, right? I would think that a narrow ribbon's horizontal dispersion should be as good as any other type of tweeter?

Horizontal is good, vertical gets narrower as the ribbon length increases -- so in some sense the smaller cheaper ones have an edge..

dave

I think I could handle that, that means I'll have to set things up so that the tweeter is at my listening height. That's not too hard to do. It'll mean the midrange will have to be above the tweeter though (or I could lay my HE12.1 cabinets down on their sides, but that would be strange and I haven't veneered the bottoms :)). Even that can be done if I offset the midrange and tweeter laterally like I've done now, then the midrange won't be too far above the listening height. Maybe I should wait until I buy my mic before I try this. I'm pretty much just winging it now, and I have no idea what the lateral offset is doing to my horizontal lobing.

ThomasW said:
In reality the vertical window of most of these is basically limited to a 'sweet spot' that's not much more than the height of the radiating element.
Really? Raven R2 manufacturer measurements seem to show pretty reasonable response in the first 10 degrees of vertical deflection...maybe 2dB down at 20kHz. By 15 degrees it's gone: 12dB down. Is reality much different?

Another question: I'm guessing these measurements are made from the center of the radiating element. In a line-source speaker it would probably be a lot more useful to measure deflection from the endpoints, wouldn't you think?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.