Goodmans Loudspeaker parts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"module 90" : do you mean the fairly groovy looking receiver ?

The Goodman's speakers I do know are perhaps a little later,
but the older models I came across had poor tweeters,
basically a clear dome with a foam pad stuck to the middle.

Go for the Audax's, adding some resistors may be required
for balance, though they will be likely fairly near, and sound
a lot better almost certainly.

:) sreten.

goodmans goodwood

Hi there, I realise that you posted this a while ago, but I have a fully working pair of Goodmans Goodwood loudspeakers which I am thinking of splitting, because someone is interested in the bass units only. the tweeters and midrange units are in excellent condition and working order.

If your still interested, email me and we can sort it out.

Phil

This was first posted about a year ago. However I have just been given a pair of Goodmans Goodwood speakers, or at least I think they are. The reason I say that is because the pamphlet that I was given says that they have a 12" bass unit. The speakers in fact have an 8" bass unit, but look exactly like the picture on the pamphlet.

One of the bass surrounds has lifted off and I have succesfully re-glued it back into position. I have not yet listened to them, but the blurb boasts that they are "domestic studio monitors" at 96db sensitive. Are they worth spending any money on ?

500va My old mags suggest that Goodmans had at least two tweeters at that time. One was a 1" cloth dome with a short "horn" effect. You can either see the horn as being about half an inch deep or think of the dome as being recessed. I think that's the one you're after. From memory the tests done by "Hifi choice" had it peaking very badly above 13/14kHz. The other unit would appear to have been a 38mm (1 1/2" ) dome that appeared identical to a contemporary SEAS unit (H87 I think). That had a perforated metal covering in one of its incarnations.

Replacing both with a modern pair of 1" domes wouold appear to be a good move. The Goodmans cross over was a second order affair with something like 4.7uF in series with 0.47mH across the unit ie about 3kHz. At least that's what my kit had. As already stated the may profit from a db or two reduction in level.

I see the reply just posted was in response to an earlier post. I have listened to the speakers today and find that they sound rather dull in comparison to more modern speakers (well they are over 30 years old). I will have a go at tweaking the crossover to see if I can make the treble and mid-range "come alive"! Any tips from anyone ?

just received a pair of these

I subscribe to my local freecycle list and managed to get a pair of Goodmans Goodwood speakers a guy was getting rid of, for nothing. They now reside in my kids shed/den and don't sound too bad. 3 way as described. They stand about 76cm tall , on the floor and would probably be considered 'dated' or retro in design, but the cabinets are very well made. At present they are being run off a T-amp fed from a CDROM. "Kashmir" sounded suitable bombastic.

One of the bass driver domes has a bit of a dent. Is there a suggested way of returning it to it's original shape ?

Hi, Assuming its not actually torn you can often suck the dome back out with a vacume cleaner. It is much easier if you have on with an adjustable suck level. Set it to minimum and then bing the tube close to the dome hopefully it will pull it back out.

regards,
Andrew

Tweeter for Goodmans Goodwood Loudspeakers

I own a pair of Goodmans Goodwood Domestic Monitor Loudspeakers. I replaced the tweeters and the woofers in them using parts I bought from Parts Express. I also replaced the speaker connectors with banana plug terminals, bought new cloth for the grills, and purchased a set of ball and socket "grill guides" connectors. The grill now mounts onto the speaker more securely. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you everyone for all your help. The speakers have long gone, but replacing the capacitors in the crossover and using some decent tweeters from Maplins made the sound OK.

Kef's Concerto with the B139 bass driver are a massive upgrade from the Goodwoods.

Goodman Speakers: Made great speakers in the 50's and 60's

They bring back nice memories of my parents.

My father was really into HI FI, in the early 60's. He obtained a pair of Goodman Axiette 101 8" single cone speakers/w tweeter, at Goody's Audio Center on West 49th St. in New York. Think it was around 1959, prior to me moving out of their house.

Goodman's Works were located in Wembley, Middx, England, back then.

My dad had this liking for British HI FI gear. His power amp was a 10watt job from a company called Simmons & Sons Ltd. Other than his records, the only other item he had that was not British, was his RCA turntable.

I have his speakers. Not much else remains.

Take Care

Ivey.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.