Plans for Visaton Cheap Trick 142

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wow, I think I must have built four pairs of those! A very long time ago though. They are great speakers, excellent bottom extension (as you would expect from a TL) not really tight bass though.
I think I don't have the issue of "Klang & Ton" anymore, as it is from quite a while ago and I have moved four times since that time (and "reduced the inventory" everytime). I will have a look around in my "archives" and I will let you know if I find something.

I think you might have better luck trying to e-mail the people at "Klang & Ton" magazine, you can probably order old editions of the magazine and if not, they might send you a copy of the plans.

There are probably other (more current) designs floating around this forum you could also try.

Good luck,

Jarno.

Stuffing a TL

Hi JC,

I think we used different materials for each pair of these (I built 4 pairs together with some other people) depending on what we had laying around. Pritex, felt, rockwool we scavenged from building sites, different types of foam. As to stuffing, I think a TL only needs to be lined with a thin layer of damping material (felt). We only stuffed the room directly behind the speaker and the area near the port (to make sure you don't hear any nasty reflections). Probably, the TL experts on this forum have a more educated opinion on this.

Greetings,

Jarno.

I don't know who's the designer, but I want to say, that if you want to build those speakers (which aren't up to date any more) you should try and change the DT 94 to G 20 SC.

The DT 94 isn't that good any more and the sound quality of it isn't really pleasant.
The G 20 SC is a shielded tweeter, which sound qualities are very good for such a low- budget- chassis.
But then you have to make some changes in the xover...

change the DT 94 to G 20 SC.
Exactly what I was thinking about.
The DT94 is known to be a bit harsh but of course the whole project will be more expensive then.
If you wanna use the G20SC you could just ask at the Visaton forum for alternative crossover solution if you don´t know how to design yourself.
Usually they also respond in english.

Thanks for the advices. And yes, I am on a budget, and the price leap for G 20 SC tweeters is too big for my purse. The price limit is something around 150 euros for all the drivers (2 woofers + 2 tweeters).
Someone said something earlier about better (newer) designs. I guess he/she was referring to TLs using cheap Visaton drivers. If that is so, I'd like to know something about that issue.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.