speaker without damping materials - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th June 2004, 12:27 PM   #1
Kal is offline Kal  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default speaker without damping materials

Hello,

what are the advantages/disadvantages with enclosures that do not have any damping material inside (Lumenwhite or Ayon) for example?

Such speakers are supposed to sound faster? How come?

Thanx
Old 29th June 2004, 12:29 PM   #2
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Because some people associate resonances with "liveliness".

sreten.
Old 29th June 2004, 09:24 PM   #3
Banned

First, remove 'fast' from your speaker vocabulary. It means absolutely nothing with regard to speakers. It's usage is limited to non-technical types who don't know the proper terms to describe any number of phenomena. It does not appear in the list of technical terms of the AES.

Damping material is required to prevent the reflection of midrange and high frequency waves within the speaker; otherwise those reflected waves will go back to the cone at various angles of phase depending on how far they have travelled and will cause peaks and dips in the response.

Damping material is not required in bass cabinets where the wavelengths being reproduced are longer than any internal cabinet dimension by a factor of four or more. In these cases, primarily sub-woofers in particular, damping material can adversely affect reproduction.
Old 30th June 2004, 07:34 AM   #4
Kal is offline Kal  Germany
diyAudio Member

Is it heavier for a driver to move in a damped cabinet/enclosure due to the damping material which is "connected" via air to the moving cone? In other words: Does damping material increase the mass the speaker has to move and therefor has got a decreased accelaration factor?

Thanx
Old 30th June 2004, 10:23 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kal
Is it heavier for a driver to move in a damped cabinet/enclosure due to the damping material which is "connected" via air to the moving cone? In other words: Does damping material increase the mass the speaker has to move and therefor has got a decreased accelaration factor?

Thanx

I used to think like that when i was younger,
The term "faster" when you talk about the drive unit is not accurate, it can not be faster or slower really by changing the damping material, The damping material can only absorb standing waves at cetain wave lengths and increase damping, I young man once told me he use "steel wool as this is very heavy and the woofer thinks its in a small box" he miss understands what is really happening, and steel wool could break up and get into the voice coil gap, not a good idea at all.

Foam or wadding can take up air space and I think i know what you mean when you say "Heavier" but if your talking about the damping factor, the only way to change that is with the volume.
If you have lots of foam that removes the air space you will change the sound. IMO

Hide this!Advertise here!