What Speaker(s) i need for Guitar Amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I know there's lot of kinds of speakers and compoments, and I
want to build a new guitar amp....the amp is ok....but i need to build the box and the speaker...
now, i know the speaker for guitar amp is big but it isnt a woofer...
it combines the frequency range of the high-mid-low notes
so what speaker it should be ? and what box to build?
thank you,
Chen.

Look out for Eminence speakers!
Very good quality for a reasonable price, and they have a big range satisfying nearly every taste of sound.
http://www.eminence.com
BTW: There are many other good guitar speakers out there. Jensen, JBL, Celestion (Greenbacks, G12H100, Vintage 30), Fane, they all make a range of good speakers, but Eminnence seems to have an unbeatable price/performance ratio.
I personally use the predecessor of the Legend V12, a very good/versatile guitar speaker.
If possible: Check guitar speakers by yourself, with your own ears. They are a part of your instrument, and I think you would'nt buy a guitar without playing it before... ;)

Best regards,
Ralf

Oh, I forgot something to mention:
The speaker cabinet depends on your taste, too (obviously :rolleyes: ).

Simple rules:
- Open cabinet, fewer speakers -> lesser lows (i.e. most combo-amps)
- closed cabinet, more speakers -> fatter sound (e.g. classic 4x12" Marshall-cabinet)

Resulting rule of thumb: Put the speaker with the best mids and highs (satisfying _your_ taste) in the cabinet which fits your needs in the low-end.
... an algorythm for calculating the best cabinet for your (or any other guitarist's) needs is yet unknown ...

Have fun! :cool:

Just a note :

The power rating of the speaker should be double that
of the amplifier, if you do this it should be very reliable.

As stated above there is a huge range available :

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&SO=2&&DID=7&CATID=49&ObjectGroup_ID=565

Open backed is preferred for a lead style of guitar playing
and a lighter style of rythym playing, e.g. VOX AC30, whilst
closed back is preferred for a chunkier and heavier sound.

:) sreten.

Dispersion, well, is how the sound radiates, or disperses, or spreads. 360 degree dispersion means that the speaker radiates sound equally (or almost equally) in all directions. 180 degree dispersion is half of that.

What you want depends on where you're playing and where your audience will be.

Dispersion, well, is how the sound radiates, or disperses, or spreads. 360 degree dispersion means that the speaker radiates sound equally (or almost equally) in all directions. 180 degree dispersion is half of that.

What you want depends on where you're playing and where your audience will be.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.