(very) small speakers... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th June 2004, 10:16 AM   #1
ALFIrE is offline ALFIrE  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Default (very) small speakers...

Hi guys!

I'm about to start building some DIY speakers to be used in HT and for music.

I was planning on the HATT mkIII fro Tony Gee.

But my wife keeps nagging that she want SMALL speakers. I thought the HATT was going to be small enough (but a big performer), but no... She wants them smaller, more like all those plastic things they sell nowadays under the name "HT speaker"...

Does anyone know about smaller (or similar) speakers than the HATT series? Those dimensions are about 16x25x22 cm / 6" by 10" by 8,5 "

Did a searck but found nothing usefull

I can feel a domestic fight coming ...
Old 28th June 2004, 10:26 AM   #2
joensd is offline joensd  Germany
diyAudio Member

You might wanna have a look at the Visaton Aria or Aria light depending on the amount you wanna spend.
Haven´t heard them but supposed to be nice ones.
Clearly won´t play too deep at 3.8liter and 4" midbass but maybe you can configure the sub for music as well.
Old 28th June 2004, 01:46 PM   #3
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You can build the HATTIII in an even smaller sealed box,
just accept your going to need a subwoofer for bass.

Going smaller then this will severely compromise performance.

sreten.
Old 28th June 2004, 04:10 PM   #4
gary f is offline gary f  Canada
diyAudio Member

Sreten is right.

A friend of mine built a small 2 way with Seas W12 used in the Hatt-mk2. The cabinet is approx 1.5 litre sealed. F3 is about 100 Hz. use it with a sub.

F
Old 28th June 2004, 11:49 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Small and WAF approved
Old 29th June 2004, 01:28 AM   #6
sberube is offline sberube  United States
diyAudio Member

Wow, I was thinking about a very similar project as my first project too, and had identified the peerless HDS 850488 as low frequency driver. You might want to check it out, its got pretty interesting stats, and you could build a ~2.5 liter closed enclosure for it getting a Qtc of 0.7, but as always, the drawback is the lack of low frequency (can't quite remember the F3 on it)
Old 30th June 2004, 07:19 AM   #7
ALFIrE is offline ALFIrE  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the input - I'll check it out!

Personally, I'd like to stick to the original HATT design - but my wife really only thinks about small cubes...
Old 30th June 2004, 10:49 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Alfire,

Sounds like you have a MAJOR challenge on your hands! The Hatt is already a small speaker. Seems like the Hatt in a smaller sealed box actively crossed at 100 Hz to a sub designed for music and therefore with the emphasis placed on the quality of the driver rather than output.

On the other hand there are other options ...

Design speakers that have some other virtue that justifies their presence in the room. Suppose they were more like freestanding "sculptures" ... or suppose you built an entertainment unit to house the TV, video, DVD, CDs etc and also had built in speakers integrated. You could create the illusion of them being small by using a number of small drivers like the 3" Tangband, very easy to use. Then fill in the bass with a sub discreetly located.

Most people put in items in a living area much bigger than the Hatt speakers that aren't essential items. Bookshelves, plants, a piano, TVs, coffee tables. The fact that she thinks you should have smaller speakers seems to suggest that she doesn't accept your hobby. Perhaps this situation is best resolved with some tactful negotiation.

Then if you can negotiate this, its a matter of making sure that you integrate them visually into the room and finish them well.
Old 30th June 2004, 12:34 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I agree with Paul. If the HATT is still to big for your wife, then your biggest problem is your wife

Will she leave you if you would build a speaker that's to big?
Old 1st July 2004, 08:38 AM   #10
Larin is offline Larin  Norway
diyAudio Member

Got to smile. I'm thinking of building small speakers my self but everytime i show my girlfriend pictures of the typical diy-twoway she replies by finding pictures of what she wants. BIG floorstanding refridgerator type x-ways. WOMEN!!!!

Hide this!Advertise here!