(very) small speakers...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys!

I'm about to start building some DIY speakers to be used in HT and for music.

I was planning on the HATT mkIII fro Tony Gee.

But my wife keeps nagging that she want SMALL speakers. I thought the HATT was going to be small enough (but a big performer), but no... She wants them smaller, more like all those plastic things they sell nowadays under the name "HT speaker"...

Does anyone know about smaller (or similar) speakers than the HATT series? Those dimensions are about 16x25x22 cm / 6" by 10" by 8,5 "

Did a searck but found nothing usefull

I can feel a domestic fight coming ... :smash: :smash: :rolleyes:

You might wanna have a look at the Visaton Aria or Aria light depending on the amount you wanna spend.
Haven´t heard them but supposed to be nice ones.
Clearly won´t play too deep at 3.8liter and 4" midbass but maybe you can configure the sub for music as well.

Wow, I was thinking about a very similar project as my first project too, and had identified the peerless HDS 850488 as low frequency driver. You might want to check it out, its got pretty interesting stats, and you could build a ~2.5 liter closed enclosure for it getting a Qtc of 0.7, but as always, the drawback is the lack of low frequency (can't quite remember the F3 on it)

Alfire,

Sounds like you have a MAJOR challenge on your hands! The Hatt is already a small speaker. Seems like the Hatt in a smaller sealed box actively crossed at 100 Hz to a sub designed for music and therefore with the emphasis placed on the quality of the driver rather than output.

On the other hand there are other options ...

Design speakers that have some other virtue that justifies their presence in the room. Suppose they were more like freestanding "sculptures" ... or suppose you built an entertainment unit to house the TV, video, DVD, CDs etc and also had built in speakers integrated. You could create the illusion of them being small by using a number of small drivers like the 3" Tangband, very easy to use. Then fill in the bass with a sub discreetly located.

Most people put in items in a living area much bigger than the Hatt speakers that aren't essential items. Bookshelves, plants, a piano, TVs, coffee tables. The fact that she thinks you should have smaller speakers seems to suggest that she doesn't accept your hobby. Perhaps this situation is best resolved with some tactful negotiation.

Then if you can negotiate this, its a matter of making sure that you integrate them visually into the room and finish them well.

Larin!!! :bigeyes: :att'n:

A little advice ...

If you are thinking of taking her to any diy events, think twice ...

the other guys may want to take her home with them!!!

and keep her away from this site, there may be a lot of diyers lining up at her door

... and if any of them are into bass horns :att'n:

keep her well hidden!!!

epilogue:
when I was thinking of getting a subwoofer, my mum said "why don't you get two?"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.