couple of questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
fyi, I also just posted this on Madiounds forum

I've been reviewing many forums this weekend and now have many more questions. I'm in the early stages of design concept for my next project, pretty much a cost no object 3-way, I think (now I'm more confused than ever). So here's a few Q's.

Right now I'm pretty much set on the woofer. I have four new in the box Eton 11/580s (not the 581s) the 580s are like 1990 version.

1) The Audio Technology drivers look interesting. In particular the C-Quenze 15 H 52 06 13 SD K (w/ The SD motor and Kapton VC)
as the midrange. It seems as the SD motor includes the cu shorting ring and is an option, why would you not ask for it? The cut away view show it may interfere w/ the damping foam is all I could think with, and it appears the Kapton VC is the right choice for a midrange application. Any opinions?

1a) Where can we purchase these drivers in the US? Madi and Solen carry some, don't know if you can special order, I'll ask next week. The prices direct are much lower. Can/has anyone orderd direct?

2) Under vs overhung VCs. I was looking at various tweeters and was curious what type the SS higher end 9500, 9700, ring were (left blank on their data sheets). The Seas Millennium, 27TDFC, Morel Supreme are under, the MDT33 is about neither, air gap almost equals VC height (strange), Hiquphon is overhung. Just curious I guess it really doesn't matter, just the resultant sound, but are there any rules of thumb on their sound characteristics?

3) Digging into the tweeter posts I started looking at the ribbons. From what I read I'm suprised they are not used more. They are in the same price range as the high end domes. Especially production loudspeakers, very few use them, why? I just read the review in Stereophile of the Aerial 20t using a version of the Raven R2 and of coarse I read these things with a grain of salt, it seems they never test anthing bad so it is hard to tell. They gave very high praise to the upper end with precise detail, etc, but did mention the poor vertical response, is this the main reason they are not used more? In the end they made reference to the Wilson Watt, and I got the impression overall the upper end wasn't necessarily any better. I don't know if I expressed this right but I didn't come to the conclusion that I have to go w/ a ribbon now.

I probably have more questions but this is long enough, any comments welcome, thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.