Veneer bubbling- argh! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th June 2004, 04:12 AM   #1
tktran is offline tktran  Australia
Account Disabled

Default Veneer bubbling- argh!

Last weekend I noticed that my left speaker has extensive veneer bubbling. The veneer was applied only 3 months ago using the "PVA wood glue on MDF and veneer-wait for both to dry-then iron on" technique. :-)

It must be due to the heat because every afternoon sunlight comes streaking through the glass sliding door into our living room and falls directly onto the outer surface and top of left speaker. At first I wasn't very concerned but now both these surfaces are have bubble extensively.

Does anyone has ideas of how to fix this? Ordinarily I'd just re-iron out the bubbles, but the problem is I've already oiled and waxed (Danish oil and fine paste wax) the speakers.

Please help!
Old 27th June 2004, 06:41 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Use a syringe.................

I have an idea that may work.
Get a syringe with a very thin needle. Take in some PVA glue ( if required thin it down with a bit of water if it is hard to expell it through the thin needle.
Better if you use quick set PVA glue ( wood glue) .
Poke the veneer carefully (along the grain) and inject a small quantity of glue. Then press the area very hard .. maybe some clamp ... and wait for a day for the glue to set.
This might work. Instant glue could work also I guess. Use pvc gloves to avoid any accidents and work FAST.

Just some ideas. I've never tried it myself.
Cheers,
Ashok.
Old 27th June 2004, 02:30 PM   #3
Banned

Default Move the speaker

Even if you fix the problem the source is likely de-gassing of the layer below the veneer. Trapped moisture below the veneer could also be the source. What it the box made of? If it's a composite material de-gassing could be a long term situation, and you may never be able to leave the speakers exposed to sunlight.

This points out a deficiency of using a water based glue for veneer; such problems are less common when a solvent base contact cement is used.
Old 27th June 2004, 04:08 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I have used contact cement and still got extensive bubbling. I will have to try the needle method.

Hide this!Advertise here!