any good tiny tiny tweeters?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i want to stick a really tiny tweeter to the pole piece of
a Vifa P13, or maybe like the hammer 12? Xo is to be frirst or second order @5 to 7K. Yeah, yeah ,I know:) i just need to try this:)Or maybe stick a pieazo element to the dust cap? I already have the p13s from an old project, doing nothing. I listen Near Field , so I want it concentric.
Anyone know of a good tiny one? maybe i could call it "the tackhammer 5" LOL:smash:

Hello John ,

thanks for bringing this to my attention:) the FR looks really good, and its also shown out of its housing, looks to be maybe a 1/2" the dome is about .4" im going to try this crazy idea :) Since I HATE XOs the plan is to let the p13 assume its natural smooth roll off. it looks to be -3 @5K and -6@7K. so a paper in oil cap (also left over:) at 5K would match or a cap and inductor down 6 db@7K, if 6 db dosent cut it off fast enough. I actually listened to the p13 by its self for a few months, but finally the missing high end got to me. This is a very smooth little driver, extremely well behaved and ruler flat from 100 to almost 5K:)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The little gold Audax TM010A7 is the best of the little Ts. The TM010s are typically used 1st order at 6-7k or so. The ApexJr version also isn;t bad and is probably the cheapest... picture is of one i carved the ears off of.

dave

Attachments

• tweaked-apexjrt.jpg
    tweaked-apexjrt.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 347
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Hi Dave. TM010A7

THOR said:
where did you get these dave? how much? They are perfect. Ill also try the PE269-782 3/8" neo @ 32cents ea:) thanks to all of you for the help :):D

I bought them about 6 years ago from Martin Sound, i think they are discontinued, but some calls or emails to Audax distribs might turn some up ... i just looked in the Solen price list and they have a TM010A39 which could be a close relative -- looking on their website it is listed as a TM010A7 and the pic looks right.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

dave

Could this be the makings of an ultimate point source driver?

If this is pulled off, it seems it could be pretty much that

It has the flat response of the P13 in it's favour, low order crossover outside the formant range, less beaming of high frequencies, probably a far flatter response than any affordable full/wide range driver

Most commercial Coax speakers I've seen have been big 15" units crossed over at about 1khz, tbh I've not actually heard any of these drivers, so they could be great, but the crossover is still in a sensitive part of the frequency range as far as I can see

I'm sure there are plenty of extended range drivers that could be used with a mini tweeter in such a way

I'm reasonably new to this forum and DIY audio on the whole, so all the above is just my own personal opinion and isn't really founded on much experience at the moment, but like somebody else recently posted, some people like to understand the workings behind speaker design before throwing themselves into the fray

I'm sure there are plenty of issues I've missed out, and some things I may even have got a bit wrong, but I've got no problem in someone politely correcting me and explaining where I've gone wrong in my analysis

It's all a learning process :)

hello Derf...

yes you are right IMHO. those are the reasons i need to try this:) I listen near field (43") and if the tweeter is remote from the center of the P13s , in that distance, the wave fronts do not coalesce into a cohesive whole and you are listening to a speaker that sounds split. very bad! ive tried 1" domes , Stryke Planars , and cheap mini tweeters(broke them)and NOTHING worked. MTMs are the very worst. I currently use Jordan JX92S FR and they are splendid, but $290 for a second pair will break the bank (literally, as Im retired) and I already have a lot of stuff left over from many previous builds, including the p13s and really good vintage paper in oil caps i got from Bruce Edgar, and everything for the subs . I do hope that the "TACKHAMMER 5" turns out to be as good as i expect:) removing the soft dust cap from the P13 was a breeze:) I will, of course, use them with a sub:)

A little more information on how you plan to mount them would be nice, you intend to put the magnet of the TM mini tweeters inside the pole piece of the driver, right?

If so, won't the two magnets repel each other?

Also, what are you going to do about the cable connectors(do they fit inside the pole piece) and running speaker cable out to the amplifier?

Drill a hole in the back of the p13's magnets maybe?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
derf said:
A little more information on how you plan to mount them would be nice, you intend to put the magnet of the TM mini tweeters inside the pole piece of the driver, right?

I'd approach it like PHY-HP has -- putting the tweeter (in their case a naked piezo) on the end of a cylindrical phase plug. This is the best pic i could get from theire site:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Also, what are you going to do about the cable connectors(do they fit inside the pole piece) and running speaker cable out to the amplifier?

Drill a hole in the back of the p13's magnets maybe?

I wounldn't even attempt that. i'd just run a pair of 30g solid over a "post" on the side(s) of the P13 high enuff above the cone so at max excursion the cone doesn't hit the wire.

dave

Opinions

Dave, what are your opinions on this particular design in comparison to a standard full range design in the same price bracket, strong points, weak points etc

I know you're quite well versed in all things full/wide range and that you sell a lot of vintage full range stuff, so your comparisons of these two slightly different ways of going about things would be well received

Would it be possible to time align a tweeter in such a configuration, do you think this is of much matter?

Have you ever attempted anything of the like yourself?

mounting and connections

depending on how the magnets are polorized they may attract. if not, ill epoxy them to a small piece of wood and epoxy that to the pole. For connections, ill drill 2 tiny holes thru the baffel , run a piece of magnet wire thru it from the back and arch it up, over and down to the tweet like a "Daddy Long Legs". I saw one in my shop today which gave me the idea:D Tomorrow i order the tweets , but Solen has a lot of crap on thier site about tax, brokerage fees and duty . if its too messy or expensive ill get the ones from Mad, but I REALLY wanted the neo ones . The Mad ones are the gold domes but they dont mention thats its neo or not. Anyone from the US bought stuff from Solen?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Opinions

derf said:
what are your opinions on this particular design in comparison to a standard full range design in the same price bracket, strong points, weak points etc

The local dealer brought in a pr of these... they are exquisite in build... when i 1st heard them i thot they had promise. Leter i heard them in another room and they (the system in the less than stellar room) sounded terrible. I'd like to hear them in my own room.

At 3.5k$/pr they are not cheap, so there are a lot of other top-notch drivers in competition... Exact, Supravox, Fertin, Lowther

Would it be possible to time align a tweeter in such a configuration, do you think this is of much matter?

Not i think, without some active or digital delay

Have you ever attempted anything of the like yourself? [/B]

Not yet... similar projects are in the queue...

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.